30 Percent Nitro????

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by gt_diesel, Mar 31, 2008.

1. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

Anyone have any experiance with running 30% Nitro???

Back when I was running a naturally aspirated small block with a hilborn setup we would occationally put in 15 % nitro, unhook the high speed bypass, and change the bypass pill... It gave us some pretty good results. ( we would do it tword the end of the year on a few passes just for fun )

Well, my question today comes with putting 30% Nitro in a Blown Alcohol Motor.

The fuel right now is perfect for M1 Methanol ( A little fat, but safe ).... I am running a Nitro Barrel Valve, 1100 pump... etc.

What changes would have to be made to run 30%...

This would be for maybe 2 or 3 1/8th mile passes at the end of the year.

2. altered boy

altered boy Outlaw Altered

melted pistons... :D (sorry couldn't help myself)

pm sent btw

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  3. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

Thanks for the info... I have had plenty of melted pistons in my day... I dont really want too many more, that is why I have a fat tune on my car right now.

I wouldnt mind going with a smaller amount... They just have a track record day at my local track and I always like to do somthing a little different that day.

4. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

How much ET gain can be seen from 20%

5. MotorPsycho

MotorPsycho Member

what compression ratio are you at?

I've been told no nitro in anything over 12:1

6. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

I am 11.5 to 1

I used to run 43% overdrive in the blower, but have it backed down to 35%

34 degree's of timing

120 bypass pill

16 injectors. 8 under hat, 8 in the intake

Car runs 7.60's right now in the mid 180's for MPH.... It weighs 2800 pounds

7. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

Here is the current jetting information
    Drivers Side Hat Front to Back
    Passanger Side Hat Front to Back
    Intake Drivers Side Front to Back
    x43p
    72p
    70p
    68p
    Intake Passanger Side Front to Back
    58p
    x42p
    72p
    66p
    I am also currently running a 110 bypass not the 120
    It is kind of an odd setup, but every plug looks identical on every pass...

8. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

How many GPM on the pump @ 8000 engine RPM?

What are the 2 "X"s for in front of the nozzle sizes?

9. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

I will have to look in the paperwork.... But I seem to go thru 4 gallons or so (estimate) on one pass.... That is towing it to the water box, doing a good 330 foot burnout, making a pass and shutting it down about 300' past the finish. It is running a little fat, but it is a super safe setup.

I really dont know about the x's on the nozzle sizes... The fuel system was set up by a "blown alcohol" guru in Missourri. He had the car before me and ran it for about 8 years. Tword the end of him owning it, he would run all weekend, and just put fuel in it... Zero Maintenance.

Right before I got the car it had a new crank, new pistons, new rods & wrist pins, bearings, and the blower was sent to littlefield to be re-stripped... Basically everything new except the block and the heads.

10. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

Looking at the paperwork, it says the pump will produce 17.2 GPM... I am not sure of the RPM

11. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

http://dragracemath.jimhatleyracing.com/fuelsys.html

Assuming you know the poppet pressure settings, you can use Hatley's calculator to figure it out. Fill out everything above the "Calculate" link. Obviously, start with "0" for your nitro percentage, which will calculate alky. Then up the percentage to what you want and recalculate it.

12. ta455

ta455 Member

13. altered boy

ok... i was being a little bit of a smartass earlier... but after reading this i'll be serious

sounds like your looking for a 'hail mary' tune-up from a stranger on the internet? if that's the case make sure the diaper is on snug before you put your foot down. just think it would be a better deal and more gratifying to tinker, play, take it apart and learn what the thing is telling you it wants. i mean a one hit wonder pass that throws a big number on the board and rods on the track doesn't get you anywhere except lighter in the wallet (and maybe hurt)?

just my two cents man... and don't get me wrong at all cause i'm not doggin you for wanting to run the yellow stuff (i was exactly where you are a few years ago). the nitro shit it sooo addictive. i won't lie i blow some shit up on mine occasionally but you're gonna break some eggs when you make omelets right? and every 'boom' was cause the motor was trying to tell me what it wanted... i'm learning to be a better listener.

i think there is some good info on the net and some good tables and formulas... blah blah blah but i guarantee you your motor didn't read 'how to run nitro for dummies' and realize that it should conform to anybody's nitro tune up table. it's trial and error and ingenuity and luck and time and did i mention luck... oh yeah.. and money (can't forget that one)

14. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

I used to run it back in my old altered... It was a blast, but of course that was naturally aspirated. I have always been afraid to try it with a blower.

I have just been hearing a lot of talk about going to a small nitro tuneup.

Basically I am just looking to see if it is even possible with my setup, and if it is where a good place to start would be.

15. mark6052

mark6052 Member

no nitro

why take a chance of hurting good stuff? got money to burn? then build it right. one final point; if you have such a FAT lazy tune. then clean it up. spin the blower and tune it right. alot better performance will be available. if youre fat now, what makes you think nitro will help if you start playing with all the settings.:rolleyes:

16. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

I have the tuneup information to put it on the edge and spin the blower back up to 42%, but we really didnt gain much... Maybe a tenth.

I guess it wasnt worth the wear and tear for a tenth.

Also, like I said, putting the nitro in it would only be for a couple passes. We do have a new motor going in the year after, but it would be nice to keep this one going.

17. altered boy

no one will be able to give you the magic bullet tune up for your particular set up to just throw 30% and 'go'. you'll just have to mix it and run it and make little steps man. just don't go changing 10 different changes each run or you'll just be chasing your tail. squirt the car 100 ft a few times and shut it off... getting your cylinders even on the fuel is important and may or may not be similar to your alcohol jet spread... really depends on your blower, helix, setback, manifold, heads, hat, etc. you'll just have to play. once it goes that far then you can keep playing. i know this probably isn't the answer for a quick stab for the 'track record day'.... that sounds like an event that should be sponsored by a shady racing parts salesman :eek:

but from the sounds of it you have a handle on the tune up for your alcohol set up... so i'm sure i'm not telling you anything new.

18. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

Thanks.... Yeah, we have run alcohol for many years, so it would be what you would call my "comfort zone"

It's always kinda scarry trying somthing outside the box... It is all kind of stuff I figured would be the case anyway, but of course, it dosnt hurt to ask.

19. mark6052

mark6052 Member

lets see, you're putting out about 1400hp on your good tune. what size engine is this? this fuel guru you mentioned seems to have some very large nozzles going. have you ever checked the pressure of this tune? I think you should have more in this thing. you pulled 8% (3lbs boost)out. of the blower and fatten up .010 over a half gallon at that size nozzle. not trying to sound rude, but you might want to have that tune reviewed by another "guru". if this is a 540 or so it should do better without the nitro. my 2cts.

20. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

Like I said, it is set up to be safe and not burn pistons all the time. I do agree that it should be going faster than it does, but I think I have a torque converter issue.. The car has been running the same injection for 8 years (just updated and freshened from time to time).

The engine is 548 Inches.