3/8" Hex drive extension

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by 95mmrenegade, Jun 1, 2013.

1. 95mmrenegade

95mmrenegade New Member

Small block LS style motor
    RCD Mag drive
    Jesel Belt drive with the longest Hex drive/cam bolt they offer

Problem is I can't get the mag close enough to the motor so the Jesel Hex drive/Cam bolt engages the RCD Mag drive hex shaft.

So made a hex drive 3/8" female to 3/8" male but the 2 connections add slop to the driveline to the pro mag

I'm no metal expert but could take the Jesel Cam bolt with the 3/8" hex drive off and weld a 3/8" female hex extension onto the end of the current 3/8" hex. It would eliminate one of the 3/8" drive coupling and the play that comes with it.

2. TADHemiracer

TADHemiracer Member

Drive Extension Welding

Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that unless your machining and welding skills can produce a finished hex drive extension with less than .002 runout, that you may be introducing more of a problem then a fix. The "slop" you mention that is in your homemade extension may very well be acting as a "universal joint" in a driveshaft type drive link that is better than a rigid connector considering that an oil film is dampening the hex shaft flats. If the alignment of the two shafts can be verified as being perfect, then a one piece connection is ideal. If the alignment of the two shafts is not perfect but close, then I'd stick with the adapter.