265 mph speed limit?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by fuelslut, Jan 9, 2009.

1. elusiveiceman

elusiveiceman New Member

p.s.: and were not just talking a couple of bucks here. Im almost willing to bet this is going to cost tens of thousands of dollars.

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

rule change and money

to everyone who thinks I said that the rule change was going to save them money, you got me out of context.

a rule change was going to be made. a rule change wasn't made to save money, lets get that clear.

since a rule change was made, which I think was to slow the class down, rather than make one change, have every AFD go and make a few races, maybe a year on a 95% tuneup, then because the rule change didn't slow them down much, well, here comes another rule change to 94%, now you have to r&d again.

i don't have an exact count, but it's closer to 40% blown cars. for whatever that's worth. i think shane said it as an expression, but before 25% starts getting quoted...

Muckety Muck, can I call you Muck for short? If we were just talking parity, I was for speeding the blown cars up and leaving the AFD's alone, but that's not what they're looking for. I proposed something similar to the variable nitro %, but that's way too simple for consideration. There has to be some sort of mathematical equation, a "factor", some more numbers, and at least, pie too.

3. Izzy

Izzy New Member

The bottom line is the best thing to do would've been to race to 1000'!!! No rule change. Nobody needs new parts or tuneups!
    There wouldn't be 280 mph cars. Divisional tracks would be safer. Blower cars could've closed the gap. The gap between Top Fuel & TAD would've been bigger.
    It wasn't really that hard of a solution!!! Geez everybody would win & nobody would have anything to BITCH about except who's turn it was to buy the beer!

4. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Not if NHRA mandates a 3.20 gear! But that won't happen...

5. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Remember When???

Drag racing used to be heads up racing in all classes and you would strive to go as quick and fast as possible given the rules for the class which did not include going to fast! Now it seems like TAD should adopt a breakout rule. We could always time the throttle off at a certain point that would reduce the speed to the desired mph. That way electronics could take over the class like it has in many of the slower classes. Lets say you build a motor and combination capable of running 280 mph and NHRA would tell you to shut it off at 4.5 sec or whatever would limit the speed to 265mph. Better yet just kill the engine at a predetermined engine rpm or driveshaft speed.
    ***Do not take this post serious***

6. elusiveiceman

elusiveiceman New Member

haha! Thats some funny shiznit right there.

7. ITS IN MY BLOOD

Ya think thats funny,.

.Wait till the new speed sensor is mandatory to one of your front wheels
    that actuates the parachutes at 275mph, OR slower.

:eek::eek::eek:

8. BigB

BigB New Member

I know this will make some angry that its even suggested....but why not shorten the race distance and turn the cars loose to run whatever they want...isn't that what everyone wants anyway. No one to say you can or cant run this much fuel or this much boost.
    Everyone was heard screaming about how the Top Fuel was going to just run faster in the 1000ft but that isn't possible is it?
    They were not holding back and I don't think you guys are either.
    Why not shorten the race and have no speed limits or fuel limits or boost limits.....whats the down side, all tracks become safer and all racers get to go back to racing....first car to the finish line wins, right?

9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

I pushed for this on the divisional level at the end of last year for safety reasons, and really got flamed. As I said in another post, at a glance, it looks like 1000' might be a real good short term fix to parity, but I think you would see the blown cars go to super short rollout tires and leaner fuel systems to compensate, while the A/F cars could shorten the wick as well, and perhaps make a 3:20 gear work. In other words, everyone would still have to change their combination.

It does slow the mph down to maintain a difference between the pro's, but I don't think everyone will continue to run the same combo's.

10. BigB

BigB New Member

I have had this discussion with numerous people and the only reason its not received well seems to stem from our human nature of we don't like change.

I know that all the purist's ,as some like to think of themselves, don't think you can race on anything other then a 1/4 mile. We need to get over that. Tracks were never built for the speed cars can do today or anywhere near what they will do in the future. Its not an easy solution to say extend the track either.
    I am and have always heard every racer say they want to go "Back to what drag racing used to be" , you know first guy to the finish line, period.
    Well it just seems that isn't realistic unless we shorten or otherwise slow the cars down.
    If the race is shortened is there any reason that the restriction's that all classes run under couldn't be lifted?
    I mean correct me if I am wrong but even Top Fuel is just glorified bracket racing, right?
    How are fans supposed to come to the track to witness the next record breaker. Let alone the tracks being able to advertise the racing as pure heads up.
    In the case of A/F or BAD what would happen if you removed the limits from both sides, obviously giving penalties for oil downs. What would happen as far as performance between the two factions?

11. blown375

blown375 New Member

GOOD GOD DON'T EVEN SAY THAT!!!!!!
    Next thing you know some genius will come up with that and make it an index and tell you "your still heads up racing":mad: