2009 nhra rules on fire systemes?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by old school, Jan 10, 2009.

1. old school

old school Member

anyone asked about the new rules on fire systeme for F.E.D. with blower on alchol? Two 10# bottles are going to be problem to install on a full body chassis.

2. jonimus333

jonimus333 New Member

Bottles

Is it 5 or 10 pound bottles ? I'll get my book out and try to look. Don

3. Mac

Mac Member

It was already in effect last season. Advandced ET required a 20lb system for any front motor/blown alky/open cockpit car. I had just bought a new 10lb system for my altered in 2007 and then had to go to the 20lb in 2008. Thats why I have two UGLY bottles on the front of my altered:mad:

4. mbaker3

mbaker3 New Member

Fire System

You're right!
    A 20 Lb system is mandatory for 2009 / 2010 and it seems that it is expensive to acquire and install! I'm not against it, but it is so hard on a owner financed operation to keep up with all of the additions and corrections to the rules and requirements!

5. 32 bantam

32 bantam Member

same boat

I'm in the same boat.....getting prices now for the 20 lb. system.
    any suggestions?
    Steve

6. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

is there any thing on a rear motor deal yet???Dave

7. Creech

Creech Member

8. Rockin' Robin WKR

Rockin' Robin WKR New Member

Old school, what series are you racing in?

We had a question on this last year, and as I recall the key word was "car". Apparently, the 20# bottle didn't apply to a dragster. This year the Advanced E.T. rule says "car" again, with no mention of a dragster period. I thought I was going to answer this, and now I'm confused as well ... lol.

Edit:

Via NHRA Nostalgia Supplement 2007 (which is the most current)

A/Fuel Eliminator

FIRE EXTINGUISHER SYSTEM
    Fire extinguisher system meeting SFI Spec 17.1 mandatory. A minimum 10-pound system required with a minimum one nozzle aimed at the driver and one at the front
    of the engine.

GENERAL REGULATIONS

9:3 FIRE EXTINGUISHER
    An onboard fire extinguisher system is mandated under certain Class Requirements. In other classes, it is recommended that each contestant and/or his or her crew have a loaded, serviceable fire extinguisher and a fire blanket in their possession, carried in the tow vehicle, race car, or otherwise available for immediate use. Dry chemical or CO2-type extinguishers, 2 1/2-pound minimum size, are recommended. When installed in a race car, must be mounted in a secure manner; use of flip-open-type clamps prohibited. When required, Nostalgia Top Fuel, Nostalgia Funny Car, fire extinguishing system must meet SFI Spec 17.1 and be installed and utilized per manufacturer’s installation requirements. For all other vehicles, onboard fire extinguisher systems must be manually controlled Cold Fire 302, Fire X plus, Halon FE1211 or 1301 or FM200, or F500, and mounted per manufacturer’s specifications with the primary nozzle(s) directed in an attempt to protect the driver. Other agents, classified on the EPA SNAP list as Acceptable Total Flooding Agents (Feasible for Use in Occupied Areas) and NHRA accepted, may be used. Bottles and lines must be mounted within the framerails. Fire bottle activation cables must be installed inside framerail where cables pass engine/bellhousing area. Bottles must be DOT approved and permanently mounted (no hose clamps or tie wraps). In the case of more than one bottle, each bottle must have its own distribution tubing and nozzles. The use of bottles, nozzles, or tubing other than that recommended by the manufacturer is prohibited. Upon activation of the system, the contents of the bottle(s) must be totally discharged; partial- discharge systems prohibited. The bottles must be mounted in such a manner that should an explosion or failure of any mechanical component of the vehicle occur, the bottles will be protected from flying parts. Also, the bottles must be mounted completely above the lower framerails of the car. When installed in/on a race car, must be mounted in a secure manner; use of flip-open-type clamps, hose clamps, tie wraps, snaps, etc. prohibited. They should be protected from excessive temperature and mounted rigidly to the vehicle. Remote cables must be metallic (plastic or plastic-wrapped cables prohibited) and installed so they are protected in the event of an upset or collision. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations regarding installation, especially on bend radius, and protection from crimping or kinking. All fire systems must use steel lines, steel or aluminum distribution nozzles, and must be equipped with a pressure gauge. All bottles must be identified with a gross loaded weight figure. It is the responsibility of the competitor to weigh the bottle prior to each event.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  9. ROCKYS ROD SHOP

ROCKYS ROD SHOP New Member

Any one needing fire systemes in NJ NY PA im a DJ safety dealer i sell fire systemes and refill botles at my shop i can retag also. I also have the stuff in trailer to refill at all the nost. races i go to i can also get all the safety stuff DJ sells. Any one needing help can call me at my shop 1-908-638-4227 one thing to remember Cold Fire works and dosent leave a mess and is a lot cheeper to refill then FE-36.

ROCKY

10. Creech

Creech Member

Who are you asking?
    I don't have many of those fancy certifications.
    Last time I drove my car was on the street. I almost ran over a doubles set so I gave it up for awhile. Thinking of puttin' in a #20 firebottle for that 50% and going down there for that ADRL though.

11. old school

old school Member

Thanks to all who answered my post. I do have a call to nhra div 3 teck and hope to have a divitive anwser

12. 32 bantam

32 bantam Member

Rocky......I live in Rochester, NY. I will call you this week.
    Steve Walczak

13. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

Do you need the 20# system for a door car now? My car only has a 10# system in it.

14. LeWhite

LeWhite BB/Alt

No one can answer this question?

15. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

The way I understand it now, if you've got a blown gas or alky anything in front of you, you have to have the 20# system.

16. LeWhite

LeWhite BB/Alt

The reason as it was explained to me was (drum roll) The divers are awake when the loud cars go by, They go to sleep when we go by because there's nothing to do. We don't go boom...So we need 20 lbs for an open car. WTF.