2006 rules

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by DQUES, Nov 1, 2005.

1. The Kid

The Kid New Member

I'm not against the idea of some form of protection there, I just don't like the required material.

Aren't titanium motor plates illegal? (something I've heard) If so, why is aluminum a better choice when holding the engine in place?

2. JBJ

JBJ Member

You are not wrong.

And like Dan said if it saves one life well worth it. I for one am glad that they have done something before something happens.

3. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

When new safety rules are implemented it is usually because someone was killed or injured in a racing accident whether it be NHRA, IHRA, NASCAR, IRL etc!!

I know it sucks to have to spend the money to upgrade your safety equipment but it beets the alternative. (And I don't mean quiting racing because of the costs)

In racing and in life we are constantly learning and evolving. We don't know everything if we did our name would be (God) so we have to learn as we go.

As an example just look how much fire suites have evolved. When people were running nitro for the first time in the late 50s guys were wearing leather jackets, open face helmet's, goggles and no fire proof masks.

Racers used to build chassis's out of water pipe & conduit, the type electricians use. Would anybody race a car today built out of that stuff?

Thanks for letting me share my opinions.
    Bob Kraemer

4. Fuel Cars

Fuel Cars AA/AM

The mandated use of Ti for safety items is troubling to me. Most Ti can be attacked in a granular way by reactions to certain chemicals and coatings. Chemicals, like cleaners and degreasers, and certain coated tools, like cad coated sockets and wrenches, can attack Ti and cause cracks.

How many racers know what this?

Lubricants used in the hydro-forming process can also attack Ti.

I fear that using Ti will give a false sense of security, and when needed, will fail due to uneducated racers using incompatible chemicals and tools.

Imho, NHRA should educate racers on proper cleaning and handling of Ti, or, not allow its use in areas of safety.

5. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

shrouds

i have thought since the darrell deal that a tad should have a shroud. i also agree that if aluminum is good for a scatter shield, it should be good for a shroud.

the shroud is an sfi spec deal. that sfi spec is only for titanium. in light of the russell incident and pending lawsuit, my sources at nhra tell me that the legal department won't even listen to anything about a lower cost shroud.

i don't think comments or attention should be directed towards nhra on this issue, rather the sfi foundation to see if they can research or approve a spec for an aluminum shield for tad at lower speeds.

here's the contact information for SFI:
    SFI Foundation, Inc.
    15708 Pomerado Road, Suite N208
    Poway, CA 92064
    USA

Phone 858-451-8868 Fax 858-451-9268
    Email sfi@sfifoundation.com

please make any correspondence objective...
    RE: TAFC

is it just me, or does the new wording for the 'stove pipe' make it sound like carbon stove pipes are out, and you now have to have a steel or aluminum stove pipe? i'll get a call in to mckinney to see what the scoop here is.

6. jw

jw New Member

Ti Shield

Does the shield have to be hydroformed, or can we form it with a metal brake ? Does anyone know what grade they are calling out?

7. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Will:

It sounds to me like what they are describing is something that is attached to the blower burst panel plate itself to direct the discharge into the stovepipe, not a new stovepipe.

We have done extensive burst tests in the past on our carbon fiber Team Eagle stovepipe with no failures or fire damage (these tests were during qualifying and eliminations...LOL). We have installed a diverter on the front manifold burst panel plate that looks like an upside down ashtray because we directed it down. We haven't had the pleasure of testing in since we put it on, though (thankfully).

The parachute deal has me scratching my head. We've only had maybe a couple chute failures in the last several years and going through the hassle and expense makes no sense to me, but then what ever does.

RG

8. nick bell

nick bell TAFC

Randy,

I am directing my question to you because well I think you can have some valuable input. Why not specify a greater angle for the mounting of the chute packs so that when the pop chute deploys it is thrown to a height higher then the rear deck of the car?

Just a thought

Nick

9. Barry Ferriolo

why not get to the heart of the problem. NHRA should make sure every driver knows how to untangle and pack a chute. Division directors have the upmost consern when it comes to a licensing driver being able to handle 240 mph but have little interest in stopping.

10. Fuel Cars

Fuel Cars AA/AM

It says it can be up to 3 piece design so you could form it using a brake, but it would probably come out better and be stronger using an english wheel.

The grade is CP-2, or commercial pure grade 2. It welds and forms pretty good and is fairly easy to come by.

11. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Nick:

I guess I'm from the old school. If my chutes don't work I'll work on making them work because I don't want Larry Miner running into the sand trap in my car. Now maybe racer Joe Smith or Jack Jones have a problem but 90% of the racers don't. Because Joe or Jack apparently aren't smart enough to properly pack or mount or whatever their chutes, everyone gets to buy more complicated chute systems to solve Joe or Jacks problems. Joe or Jack's problem is now my problem.

I guess we need to find out if the 4 large titanium studs in all motorplates are now illegal along with the nuts. What about the ti bolts Trick Titanium supplies for the inspection covers on our bellhousing? What about the small aluminum screw on the bottom of the bellhousing to keep the liners from spinning? One time I sent it to Regis for recert with a steel screw and they were very vocal about never using anything but aluminum. What about the aluminum blower studs to keep the blower from breaking in half if the kaboom is loud enough? I have a titanium nut on the RCD belt drive, too. Other than that it's all grade 8.

RG

12. nick bell

nick bell TAFC

I am very much with you on taking responsibility for getting the car to stop. When my father was alive and we raced with Craig Gleason that was my job to make sure the car stopped. We never ran 240 miles per hour but the chutes always came out. Just goes to show that theres more to wading up the chute and stuffing it in the pack huh.

13. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 Member

On the funny car parachute topic, last weekend at the Vegas divisional during one round of qualifying several cars had only one chute blossom though both deployed. A couple of these ended up with the chutes wrapped around the axle, with significant damage to at least one car. Seemed like there was perhaps a slight tail wind during this period, maybe the launchers might have helped with this by getting the chute above the rear deck and into the wind stream??

14. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

I sent my email to SFI expressing my concern about the material spec. for the new schroud in TAD. My concern is not about the requirment but the material. There is nothing magical about the strength properties of titanium.
    It is difficult to work with as in welding forming etc. not to mention expensive.
    There are other steel alloys and aluminum with the same strength properties.
    This is a sportsman class. Let them know how you feel about this and ask for their help in giving us other material options.
    One thing that supprises me is that after the blowovers this season I expected to see some requirment and spec's for wheelie bars on TAD.

15. Barry Ferriolo

Inspector- were these shark fin or no fin (spill plate) cars? this seems to be at the root of this mess.

16. jfaye

jfaye New Member

shrouds not an SFI Spec

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    It has been brought to our attention here at the SFI Foundation that a previous posting within this thread stated that the new TAD roll cage shroud requirements are the result of an SFI Spec.
    Please be aware that this information is incorrect and there is no SFI Specification for the roll cage shroud, be it TAD or TF. The shroud requirement is an NHRA rule, therefore, any further questions regarding this issue should be directed to the NHRA Technical Department, www.nhra.com or 626-250-2485.
    We've already had a few inquiries from readers of this forum, so I just wanted to be sure you had the correct info.
    For any other SFI-related information, feel free to contact us any time.
    Regards,
    Jennifer Faye
    Program Manager
    SFI Foundation, Inc.
    jfaye@sfifoundation.com
    858-451-8868

17. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Sfi

Will I sent an email to SFI. They were kind enough to tell me to direct my email to NHRA that it was their decesion. Here we go again!

18. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

i would bet the farm that NHRA is behind this rule.i am for the rule, but like many people have stated....why does it HAVE to be titanium??? they should give more options for different materials, that is a big chunk of $$ for the lower budget teams.