2 step problems

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by jay70cuda, Jul 2, 2011.

1. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

Does anybody know how to test to see if the 2 step works without starting your motor. Was testing it here and while it was running and tried putting it on the 2 step and nothing. What's even weirder us that the rev limited didn't catch it neither. I've been all around this with a voltmeter and everything has power when switches are pushed. Strange thing is that not a single wire was touched over winter . Any help would be appreaited.

2. badbird

badbird New Member

if its pluged into the points box and not working then its dead, get a new one or borrow one to try just put a low chip in it and slowy bring the revs up to that limmit see if it holds it, i dont know how to bench test this stuff im sure someone here does

3. ta455

ta455 Member

an ignition tester should work.

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The 2 Step unit is not that complicated and I don't think I have ever seen one fail especially just sitting in garage. Are you sure the two chips are in the right slots and not reversed. Remember Module 2 is the High Limiter chip and Module One is the stage chip. The Two Step will plug into the RPM limiter socket of the 8147 Points Box.The Red wire will connect to the clutch switch.The Black wire connects to Ground.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  5. Kendrick Roberts

Rev limit failure

I have had both two and three steps fail at most inopportune times. Having yours give you grief in the shop is a blessing in disguise. An ignition tester is the way to go, it simulates input RPM so that two steps and shift lights can be tested. Unfortunately, some of the MSD type retards must be disconnected so the tester will work. If no retards, no worries.

Kendrick

6. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

Are we talking about an msd ignition tester. If not where could I get one . Yes the red wire has power ! But should nt I be able to test the resistance in the dial selector. It doesnt show any resistance .

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes we are talking about the MSD Ignition Tester. The resistance of the chip should be able to be measured across the two pins of the plug that plugs into the Electronic Points Box. If you put the meter leads across those two pins then you should read the resistance of the RPM plug in chip. Also if you unplug the chip then read the resistance it should show open. Also read the resistance across the chip pins. That should be the same as the plug pin resistance.