2 or 3 speed trans

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by wildride boy, Sep 11, 2006.

1. wildride boy

wildride boy Top Sportsman Racer

On a blown 280 inch dragster ,with BBC 509 around 2000 hp , with donovan torq-link and lenco , what is the best way to go ? 2 or 3 speed ?
    Claude

2. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

claude,
    go with the 3 speed, the car will run alot better. there is less droppage at the gear change with a 3 speed. we race with the pro top outlaws www.protopoutlaws.com i don't think we have 1 car in the group with a 2 speed. there are alot of 3 sec. cars in the 1/8th mile that run with our group. just my 2 cents
    darren russell

3. JT Heslink

JT Heslink New Member

Claude,

Se have run the 3 speed lencodrive for several years now. When we switched from the 2 speed to the 3 speed we picked up a tenth on average because of the tighter rpm range.

4. 521BAE

521BAE New Member

I think it can also give you a better play with the ratios as conditions vary from track to track

5. 182 TAD

182 TAD New Member

Good point 521 BAE !!!!

Claude , you will have a better choice of first gear ratio with a 3 speed lenco for sure and it is a very helpful tuning tools if you want to race here in Québec and being able to get down the track in our tricky condition.

Go with a 3 speed and buy some different gear set ( my 02 cents)...

Good Luck !!!! Serge TAD-15

6. wildride boy

wildride boy Top Sportsman Racer

I'll use the same transmission that i had in my 34" , the ratios are 2.10 , 1.45 , is it not so bad for a dragster ?
    Claude