2 or 3 spd?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by skauto, Nov 26, 2013.

1. skauto

skauto Member

Upgrading this off season from a new century roots blown 526 with a quick drive and B&J 3 spd to a 481x screw blown 526 and I am curious what the majority thinks on whether to run a 2 or 3 speed transmission we are staying with the converter drive and we run a 1/4 mile.
    I watched Camp Stanley and John Stanley rip off their world record passes with a 2 spd and surprisingly enough when i spoke with Camp he said he would have run a 3 spd if he was to do it again yet others say the 2 spd is more forgiving and easier to tune the car to. Any thought's would be helpful and any thoughts with some reasoning would be even more helpful
    Thanks
    Simon

2. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

Does B&J make a gearset eliminator like Lenco does? If they do, you can set your car up with the three speed case but run it as a two speed and you can still have the option to go 3 speed if you wish. It is going to take some trial and error as your probably not going to find the perfect ratio right out of the box. That was a stellar run put up by Camp and John!

3. skauto

skauto Member

That was the plan we were going to empty the case and run a 2 spd leaving the option to go back to a 3 spd easily.

4. overkill69

overkill69 Member

2 or 3

Keep in mind who you get advice from.A few 1/4 mile outlaw guys started running 2 spds and were happy with the performance and even set the world record before Camp.
    Their 1/8th mile times were generally uncompetitive for an ADRL car.
    I'm sure camp had to compromise on ratios to make the 2spd work so his early numbers were softer than normal.
    With a 3spd an ADRL car could run equivalent ratios in low and 2nd without big rpm drops and the car would act more normal early in the run.

I ran a wedge with roots and screw 2 and 3spd. In hindsight, I think the 3 spd would be quicker even in the eighth with the limited rpm and bottom end power of the wedge.

5. Mac

Mac Member

You should quiz Les Davenport. He runs a two speed Lencodrive in almost everything now. His nostagia Afuel car,Jirka Kaplan's 5 second comp altered,Kaplan's old record setting AA/Gas car(when the rest of the class was running 3 and 4 speeds. Also Kaplan's new TAFC has a 2 speed B&J drive in it. I'm sure he might have some insight on it