16 nozzle bs 8 nozzle screw psi fuel system ??

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Bad1969nova, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Bad1969nova

Bad1969nova Member

I have a 16 nozzle system I have been running for years is there any advantage in going to an 8 nozzle deal? I was walking around pdra race an notice nobody running 16 any longer.. Also should you reflow system if you switch to an 8 nozzle? Have herd pros an cons of both just wondering what you guys think.. Thanks in advance..

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I have run both the 8 and the 16 nozzle systems. The only advantage to a 16 nozzle system is more even EGTs at idle but who runs a race at idle. I much prefer the 8 nozzle system for simplicity in tuning and the idle EGTs are close enough. Figure the total area of each of the two nozzles for a cylinder and find a single jet with that same total area. No need to flow the system. You can also do it using Total GPM of the two nozzles and find a single jet with the same GPM. I have the jet charts if you need them.

3. Bad1969nova

Bad1969nova Member

4. lucky devil

lucky devil Member

How long have people been doing this Mike ? PX and PB ?

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

PB is roots only so is a 8 nozzle system. PX type motors have gone both ways and prefer the simplicity of the 8 nozzle system. Don't get me wrong because the 16 nozzle system also works. I don't think there is a difference in power between the two, one is just simpler than the other.

6. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Simplicity of the 8 is better. Some guys ran the 16 forever because they didn't want to go buy the nozzles in the range they'd need for an 8. That or they are trying to achieve a certain nozzle pressure and the 16 count system is more consistent for them. As just a matter of head flow, I would imagine the 8 would be better than the 16 just because of the extra resistance of a second nozzle in the runner, but that isn't based in fact, just what my own common sense tells me.

You shouldn't have to re-flow the whole system, but I'd make sure that your bigger jets you're converting to have been at least flowed and verified or renumbered as necessary.

7. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Big thing we've found is that the more fuel you can put above the blower the better. Seals it up and it makes more boost and cools and lubes the rotors. Use nozzles in the port to balance egts

8. TOL

TOL Active Member

What's your rough split hat to ports these days? What sort of overdrive?

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

We are talking screw blower fuel setups so putting a lot of fuel into the hat to seal or lubricate the screw blower is not required. Some fuel is used to cool the mixture.

Blownalky likes this.
  10. TOL

TOL Active Member

That's what I was asking about (c-screw). So what's common these days?......

11. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Tom Conway was pretty much the one who pioneered the modern day 16 nozzle system in the alcohol cars. Specifically Top Alcohol Dragster. The theory is to have the 'dribblers' to even up your cylinders at stage (part throttle, swapping feet on a clutch - no WOT two step). The smaller CID dragster motors like to have all the cylinders lit at stage, so it is a very functional system if you are trying to have all cylinders lit in the 600+ EGT range at stage.

The conventional 8 nozzle system remained more in the TAFC's that had more torque and had a few cylinders out (cold/wet) at stage by design to calm the car down off the line. As mentioned, this is a simpler system that is easier to manage.

The train of thought with the converter cars running a 16 nozzle system is running the dribblers at a lower pressure than the dragster style system in hopes of evening the cylinders up at idle. This helps achieve a cleaner idle that doesn't blubber as much.

12. Dale H.

Dale H. Member

I beg to differ Mike, a screw blower should have a lot of fuel through the hat nozzles to help seal and cool. I about ruined a screw blower by running it lean. I use 4-80's in top.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Dale I agree with the standard configuration of that you are talking about and not running them lean and overheating but they don't need more than the standard is what I am saying. There are no stripes to seal or lubricate but you don't want it to heat up and expand so you have metal to metal contact especially on one that has been coated. Screw blowers do not have the internal friction of a roots blower so they do not need as much fuel in the hat to cool things down

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  14. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

will, not sure what you are saying about a converter car because with the poppet settings on a 16 nozzle system they are all wide open on the Two Step which is what counts. Never had a blubber problem with 8 nozzles if the BV is adjusted correctly

15. Dale H.

Dale H. Member

Usually a 16 nozzle system idles alot smoother than 8, so rolling into the start lights and staging might be easier with a converter trans. The bad thing about 16 nozzle system is that the dribblers and port nozzles are split in size per port making them small in size which can plug easily.

Dale

16. WIDEOPEN231

WIDEOPEN231 Member

WE used a spool that allowed us to bring the two systems in as stated above.* dribblers for idle and stage and secondary larger nozzles for full throttle. Worked great and cleaned the pipes up at stage.This was with roots.With Screw I had to increase dribbler due to very little fuel above the blower.I do agree 8 nozzles are simpler and lot less likely to clog up. The 16 nozzle does give more tunablity options.

If you are KISS person then go with 8.If you like to keep close check on every piece(as you should) and like to be able to dial every part of system to exact temp then the 16 nozzle maybe right for you.As long as total fuel to motor is the same it will work.

Blownalky likes this.
  17. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

What I was getting at is with the way the 16 nozzle system was set up, staging at part throttle, you could adjust cylinder temps at stage by swapping area from the dribbler to the port side or vice versa. Granted the ports were usually starting to open as well, but you could fine tune the part throttle staging egt's.

With the BV at WOT on the two step, you really don't have any adjustability on just the stage side.

I have had to put a check ball in No. 2 on a converter car 8 nozzle system to keep it from loading it up.

The 16 nozzle deal just gives you another fine tuning adjustment knob.

ozrace likes this.