12v or 24v start?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by blownfever, Aug 25, 2012.

1. blownfever

blownfever Member

Will I have to use 24 volts to start bbc blower motor with a new Mallory sm-V (7-8 amps) or will a 12v 850 cca do the job?? It is tilton severe duty starter!!! I figured someone has been there done that.... Thanks

2. Vhodoo Racing

Vhodoo Racing New Member

This has come up quite a few times. Some guys say they use 16 volts some have to use 24. I have the same mag different starter and use 24 volts. Two small odeysy Batteries on board. Cheers pete

3. Capt Crash

Capt Crash Member

When I ran my altered with a blown alky 427, it originally had a 12 volt battery with a hi-torque mini starter on it, I dont remember the brand but it was not a Tilton. It would work fine but not great for a run or two. Sometimes we could make it all day, but more often than not we would be pulling the batterys out of the tow truck because it would not get charged back up between rounds. After about half of a season, I switched to a blower starter with 24 volts, and I never had a problem again. You have to spin the mag to atleast 200 rpm, IIRC, to get the mag to fire.
    Brian

4. skauto

skauto Member

24v csr is the way to go trust me I learned the hard way(expensive way)