11mm Belt Life/Wear Indications C Rotor

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Scotttrod, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Scotttrod

Scotttrod Member

Hi again,

About to start the race season with a freshened motor and made the change from 14mm x 65wide belts to the 11mm x 84wide "PS" for my fuel headed alcohol Hemi C rotor. My experience with the 14mm belts on roots blowers has been great belt life with no issues. Not the same deal with the C rotor, I had 14 mm "belts a flying" and decided to change over the winter. The 14mm belts with the C would look perfect for a run or a burnout, then after inspection would separate, rip, splode, or something spectacular next time out. I never got more than 2 runs (or attempts) out of the 14mm belts.

Here is the question,
    If I launch on an air throttle just below the two step RPM on the convertor, what kind of belt life should I expect with the 11mm PS and will I see any tell-tale signs that I will be losing the belt soon?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. overkill69

overkill69 Member

11mm

I have 56 laps with 11mm at 100-129%. Half of them were wide open on the two step. The rest were air throttle on the two step. I've never broken one or seen any fraying whatsovever. The first belt I ran over 25 laps and it was melted in a quill shaft failure. I installed another belt and have run it since.
    These were nice looking used belts from RBS with unknown runs when I got them.
    I would expect a new belt to go 50 runs on the air throttle easily.

3. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

Most Pro Extreme pro mod guys are getting 3-5 runs on 8mm belts I hear. Can anyone confirm this? How is the 11mm any better?

4. Scotttrod

Scotttrod Member

I heard that the 11mm belts are stronger but belt lengths can be an issue. I had to buy everything, so I took a chance on seeing if I could get the ratios to work out. I think there are many more possibilities with the 8mm. The "PS" in the part number seems to be key.

5. Scotttrod

Scotttrod Member

Overkill,

Thanks, very helpful info.

Scott