1000' top alcohol part 2 ?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by maddhatter, Jul 28, 2010.

1. maddhatter

maddhatter Jr. Dragster

Now that NHRA has mandated alcohol cars have the shut off transmitter does this not indicate NHRA has plans to make these classes compete on the same 1000 ft distance as the fuel classes? It is unlikely that they would have 2 shut down transmitters on these sites, creating possible confusions with a 1000 ft mark and a 1320 mark. Further if they created 2 frequencies to operate on what are the chances of getting frequency mix ups when purchasing the new devices. I think everyone will see complications if there are 2 distances to manage. Initially NHRA may not have intended to impose 1000 ft on the alcohol cars but it appears there may not be a easy way to avoid it.

2. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

I might be wrong but....

I'm pretty sure the shut off transmitter is mounted on the guardrail 300 ft past the 1/4 mile isn't it? Maybe I'm wrong?

3. maddhatter

maddhatter Jr. Dragster

transponder distance

Nathan
    I'm not sure of that distance I'll ask this weekend

4. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

rf

what I can tell you is nitro box is black and alky is blue ,,I don't think its a color only thing..more likely a frequency thing.

5. SNAPPY

SNAPPY TAFC

!000ft

Can anyone tell me Why NHRA is so resistant to Alcohol classes running 1000ft?
    What is the down side if safety is the concern?
    Who stand to loose if we ran 1000 ft and everybody at days end, went home and not to the hospital or worse?

Tell me ....tell me

6. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

I sure wish Somebody would Please..tell me why these chutes are failing??? Isn't that the best place to start? Instead we all just want to blame the tracks! This would all be academic if the chutes deployed and stayed on the cars!

7. Cal Bellamy

Cal Bellamy New Member

Catch 22 on the Transmitters

It just occurs to me if NHRA shortened the distance to 1000 ft TAFC and TAD would likely not require the transmitter devices at all.Futhermore the carbon fibre brakes may be on the back burner too. Just my .02

8. The Zone

The Zone Member

Cal, the carbon rule is already in effect,. they are not going to resind it

dean

9. Cal Bellamy

Cal Bellamy New Member

Sorry Dean my reference about the brake deal was in a speculative manner,meaning if the cars were racing 1000 ft carbon brakes may not become neccessary.When I ventured out on this I was aware the carbon brake issue was already mandated.
    Regards Cal

10. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

while the expense of 4 wheel carbon brakes has pretty much put my nhra season on hold, I will add what ever safety rules enacted. Got the rears today and the rf kit is already installed, but, it seems to me some people are overlooking the fact that the sand trap and net are not part of the everyday racecar's equipment..they are not needed to start the car, race it , or even stop it..They are there as the last support to save us from catastrophic failure to stop.regardless of how we build, update,double up systems,the purpose of that trap/net is and will always be..the final chance to save us from catastrophic failure... or even a senior moment..Regardless of what we build, how far we race,or how fast we go,we NEED to believe it will do its job! I hate the mind set that we should build a car to avoid the deadly sand trap no matter what.I for one don't want to have to choose between the net or dragging the wall. That should never enter a drivers mind.but I'm afraid it will now, even with all the upgraded tracks we already have.
    Next thing you know they'll have us bring our sfi approved 1320 foot bungy strap to anchor the car at the starting line..never mind, the tracks would never spend the money for the hook up.Use common sense and be as safe as possible.

11. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Cal, if extra stopping is the name of the game now. Why not got 1/8 mile? Imagine all that extra shutdown??

12. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

We could do even less, maybe 100 feet! Then we'd only have to check bearings like, maybe, once a season!

I agree with Bill, we really have to be able to trust the sand trap will do it's job, clearly it's not even coming close. Find a system that works and works well then make them all the same. I'm curious, after sitting out in the sun all summer do the tracks have to send their nets back to the manufacturer for recert?:rolleyes:

13. maddhatter

maddhatter Jr. Dragster

14. wildman

wildman Member

ROTFLMAO!!!! Do you think they are SFI certifed too?

15. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

I realize they're likely not, just thought I would throw the question out there lol.

16. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Good call

Hmmm......I have looked at the nets at every track I have ran down that had them. Always with a certain sense of foreboding to stay away from it. But I have to admit- I never ckecked the SFI sticker on one. LOL. That was funny Nathan. But it does illustrate a point- why does every safety improvement always require the racer to spend money?
    I have never owned a dragstrip, so I don't know if they have to use a wheelbarrow to take the money to the bank after a big weekend but it would make me feel better if they were being required to jump into the safety rule spending spree too. I have never been "anti-safe" but I am very "anti-nonsense" Lets make rules that make sense, not just jerk our knees to every terrible race track tragedy. I say- fix the parachutes first then the brakes. Dave Germain