1000' or slowing down

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Apr 16, 2009.

1. blownracer/a-fuel

The end result for David would have been jumping over the rail road track instead of hitting the net. Once the brakes burnt off of the car(steel rotors) it had no way to scrub speed off. The car could have went for another half a mile or so. Another 320 feet would not have changed the end result in my eyes. What needs to be done (1) Every dragster to have carbon brakes.(2) Full pass you have to pull both chutes at the same time.(3) Must be off of the throttle and chutes out within .5 of a second. The computer doesn't lie. Even in Noble several drivers drove past the 1320 every pass they made not just the first or second. Just the way i see it:confused:

2. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

David @ Dallas

I was standing at the next to last turn off road as we ran just in front of David when he came by with no chutes really fast. Someone yelled he's going to hit the trap and there was a big cloud and what looked like pieces of his rear wing up in the air. I was glad to hear that David was ok.
    When they brought his car back to the pits in three peices I was really supprised at the dammage. Then I looked at the brakes and they were cooked. I can tell you that steel rotors will not stop you even at Dallas with no chutes. Bet when David puts the car back together it will have carbon fiber brakes. Even with carbon brakes you can get stopped but the fluid will be so hot you may not have any brakes on the return road or until the fluid quits boiling. I instruct all drivers licensing in my car to put their hands on the chutes at the 1/8 mile and pull them about the 1000 foot then lift at the finish. Also teach them to grabe the brake as soon as they push the chute levers and pull the brake as soon as they cross the finish line until they feel the chutes deploy and know the car speed is under control.
    The parachute is a drivers best friend especially when something freeky happens. If your hand is on the lever it is just automatic to push them.
    In our car we use two levers so you push thru them to open both chutes but the small delay between the release does not cause such a violent hit like when they both hit at the same time.
    The biggest mistake a driver can make is to pull the chutes and wait to long for them to hit only to find out they are not going to open. A good set of carbon brakes will save you but not even them if you wait to apply them.
    Bob Holley

3. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Is there any truth to the rumor that an unowned car gathers just as must dust as an owned car if it sits in the trailer/garage all of the time?

4. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Wow, that put an end to a good thread.

5. Tim5636sc

Tim5636sc New Member

Yeah....way to go Thread Killer! That's usually my job PAT! :eek::D

6. hemifasst

hemifasst New Member

1320 ft. or go home

drag racing is 1320 ft. if you dont want to run that dont drag race! go run with the mud or sand guys
    jody p gucwa

7. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

Sounds enticing....

That sand racin's fun stuff. 300' of wheels up rooster tail throwin' action. :)>

Congrats to Gary Mink on his win last weekend in Primm btw.

Flash