100 tall block question

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Bob Churchill, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Bob Churchill

Bob Churchill New Member

Looking into building a hemi with a screw on it for nhra alocohol funny car. Everyone seems to be running 4.375 bore x 4.375 stroke and 100 tall blocks. What's the advantage and can you run the same combo with a std deck?Not looking to rotate the earth or rev it to the moon just run mid to high 5.70's
    Thanks for the info Bob Churchill

2. Bob Churchill

Bob Churchill New Member

153 views and no comments.

3. Hemiracer1

Hemiracer1 New Member

Bore x Stroke x +100 Block

This is the exact same combo I run but I have been hearing for some time now that a lot of racers are going to a larger bore and a shorter stroke for an ALCOHOL motor since the burn time of alcohol is shorter than gas or nitro. Shorter burn time = shorter usable piston power stroke with any non-horsepower producing portion of the stroke actually being just a drag on the motor by making the crank drag the piston the rest of the way down. Probably a small difference in efficiency but in todays competition, even a small increase in power is still an increase in power. I am considering going to a 4.4375 bore with a 4" stroke (mainly because the bore size is a big as my sleeves will allow and still leave me sufficient wall thickness) and still have around 495 cubic inches. The +100 block I have is just what I ended up with, not necessarily the best height to use. I also think that a shorter stroke also means less rotating mass, thus probably a higher safe rev limit.
    Here I am giving my .02 again. I should probably ask for change back.
    Barry

4. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

actually the BAE combo of choice has been a 4.467 bore for a few years now. I believe it uses a 4.15 stroke. .

5. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

block

You can always cut the block and sleeves down. Don