10" discs in 11" clutch

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by linkplas, Jan 3, 2009.

1. linkplas

linkplas New Member

Is there any issue or problem with running a 10" disc in an 11" AFT pedal clutch? (12 stand unit with Titanium pressure plate) Obviously its smaller friction area, but will that cause the clutch to work any differently?

2. backmotor

backmotor Owner/Crewchief/Test Pilot

We ran 10.7 inch discs on an 11 inch pressure plate with no problems at all, hope it helps :D

3. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

Depends on how much surface area is meeting. The ID of the 11" is much larger than the ID of a 10" so check from center of the pilot to the inside edge of the hat ring and then do the same on the disc to determine how much mating surface you will have. It may only be about half of your 10" disc which will not be a very good idea.

4. JP

JP Member

If you decide to run less overall area for your aplication what we used to do , was to take a standard 11" disk and cut its surface on aa lathe , so that half the outside od was used.

It helped in making the cluth slip a litter more at low rpm while retaining high rpm lockup

5. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Wouldn't go less than a 10.7 or a 10.5. Mean Effective Radius is everything, just like everyone else has said. If you cut that area in half, especially from the OD of the disc, your torque application becomes more aggressive. Then you are applying the same torque to half the surface area, which would also translate to even more service to the heat shields and floaters.

If you're looking to make it faster, the smaller discs won't have much effect on your moment of inertia. Probably 95% of your power loss because of moment of inertia will be because of the clutch itself.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  6. linkplas

linkplas New Member

Thanks for the replies. I have the 10" discs because that was all that was available down under, at the time...and my problem has been the car is very agressive off the line and has a tendancy to move around in the first 100'.
    Car is a 180" wheelbase Nostalgia FED with a 480" Arias Hemi, 3 speed lenco.
    1.95 first gear, 1.56 second gear. Rear gears are 4.11 and have 33 x 12" tire.
    1.08 60ft, ET 7.00@200mph.
    My clutch set up is, 825lbs of static, 18grams weight on each of 6 x 3/16" levers (108 grams total).
    Any more advise on clutch tune is greatly appreciated.
    Cheers, Dave

7. linkplas

linkplas New Member

Hi Justin, I just checked out your ACE website...how do I order some discs from you? what disc part number is the right one for my application (above). Cheers Dave

8. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Dave,

The smaller discs will have a tendency to be more aggressive, which it sounds like you don't need off the line. Does it wiggle when you shift or just in the first 100'? What is your launch RPM abouts?