1/8 mile at divisionals? Would it help costs?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Mar 19, 2008.

1. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

Randy, what kind of parts useage do you see in the 1/4 mile? Before you say we dont have the same setup think again because alot of promods do, we run ours at 125 over on a "C" as do alot of others. Between us we can figure the cost differance. Another thing about 1/8th mile is that the competition is alot closer and the drivers reaction time plays a bigger role in winning and losing.

2. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

A-Fuel / 1/8 mile

About the only reduction in run cost for 1/8 mile is almost a gallon less fuel per run. All the other costs such as spark plugs, oil, brgs, clutch disc, and tires will remain about the same.
    The price of fuel going up more than 2x is going to be a deal killer for a lot of racers running on their own dime. I am going to sell stock in a new venture to produce nitro methane. If it is to much of a problem to get license in the US then we'll take it to Mexico, Canada, or China!!!! Anybody interested. Oh I forgot one thing here though. Even if we could produce and sell product for 4 dollars per gallon you could not use at NHRA events. Is Torco still selling fuel?
    Did they also go up to 28 dollars per gallon from 13.63 or less?

3. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

The driver's reaction time has to play a lot bigger role. And even bigger if we raced 330'. Just think how important it would be if we raced 60'...or 20'.

If you set your Pro Mod up for 1/8th mile and came up with a combination to run it to it's optimum for the 1/8th mile your engine will not make it 1/4 mile at the next event without making significant changes. Now if you feel it will make it 1/4 mile in 1/8th mile trim I think you have a lot of options left on your tune-up.

I'm not going to give away any information on the TAD sand dragster (which runs 100 yards) only to say we get away with a LOT more on that car than we can get away with in my car running 1/4 mile. If he took his TAD to the asphalt and ran 1/8th mile I doubt it would make it to the finish line.

For us, we have to think 1,320 feet, not 660' or 1,000'. If we raced 1/8th mile suddenly my concern for #5 going into detonation at 1,000' would be gone. The theory behind the tune up would be more offensively minded than defensive as in our case.

I personally have no interest in 1/8th mile racing because it takes some of the drama out of the race. Look at the TAD final in Gainesville where Fink lost the 1/8th mile race but won the 1/4 mile where it counted. 1/4 mile makes the win a combination of driver, good parts and good crew instead of a jack rabbit start that got your guy ahead just in the nick of time before the better car went around you.

RG

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  4. tad2155

tad2155 Member

1/8 mile

One thing we are forgettin on the 1/8 pro mod racin, even if your part issues are close to being the same, the 2 big differences, it's run what ya brung real racin & the pay out to winner is $10 k and you get $2500 payin to tha 1/4's
    what we get for winning and runnin 1/4 mile, so this changes the pain on the pocket !!!:( i still think there is an avenue even with the pro mod shows to bring in some long cars throwing flames sky high to help the show

In Bama wit tha Boyz:D

5. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

While 1/8 mile might seem like cheaper racing, making cars that normally run 4.0's in the 1/8 and tuning them to run 3.8's has to Hurt parts in a Big way! So I'd have to say that negates any saving$. As for the Purse, yes $10k to win is very attractive to any sportsman racer!:rolleyes: