newbie here trolling around looking for information

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Scott Coxwell, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Scott Coxwell

Scott Coxwell Member

I am currently a nitrous guy that can't compete with the local screw blower cars. So I am looking to start doing my homework on these screw blower combinations for promod.
    Trying to understand what is the better combination and why?
    How to setup and tune
    How to keep it together
    What all maintainence is required etc

Thanks
    Scott

2. rcparker

rcparker New Member

We started this year with a blower motor. Its a BAE +.100 block, 8x head combo with a c rotor. So far the motor hasn't been a problem. The engine management was our big problem until we changed it. So far all we have done is checked bearings ,changed rods every 25 passes, and one dinged piston while we had a fuel distribution issue. Last week end we had a lifter fail at just over 50 passed. The run before we had just had motor apart for rods and every thing felt fine. No real damage, just a little trash. Our best run was a 3.72 with motor left. That was the second race and a test day on the same set of bearings and one set of plugs at that race.

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Rcparker, running a screw blower and ET of 3.72 is really pushing the limit with 25 runs on a set of rods. So far you have had no problems and that is great. Twenty runs on the rods would be a lot better. Just think what a broken rod would cost versus getting that five more runs out of those runs.

4. eli

eli Banned

I want to know whos rods he uses?
    And are they aborted runs?

5. rcparker

rcparker New Member

Yes eli quite a few of those runs were aborted. As i stated we had a lot of problems before switching to a power grid. The computer would not shift the car on every pass. besides the regular new car blues we had quite a few runs that never made it past first. quite a few of those passes were at small tracks that was for testing only. we have only attended two big races at a "good" track. I did not try to say brand x would run 25 passes. We have a experienced tuner that felt no more than 25 passes would be safe under our conditions. the motor has only seen 9600 rpm once. that was our best pass, most others were 9300-9400. I have no doubt that as the car starts making more full passes and is run harder the number of runs on rods will change. I have enjoyed reading this forum for years and just thought id pass along our start with a new blown motor. I in now way told him what to do, what to use, and never would. Im not in his pits.

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes, 25 runs would be ok in those conditions.