spray bar

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by bill, Dec 26, 2016.

1. bill

bill Member

any body using a spray bar in there hat to atomise the fuel

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I believe the main purpose of the spray bar is to cool in the incoming air, atomization is secondary. Mike Janis of Jan-Cen Motorsports can install one in your hat.

3. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

Call Mike at Rage fuel systems. 843-623-3500. He has done dozens , I have one in both of my injector hats. He and Don Jackson pioneered these things.

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

As Mike said, it's more for cooling the intake charge. Anything that is atomized returns to liquid/droplet state when it hits something solid.

5. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

About when did Rage/Don Jackson start doing this?

6. bill

bill Member

does it make much more power

7. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

Been told that with a roots blower on the dyno its worth atleast 50hp on a pro mod combo.

8. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

50hp? Who's dyno? I understand the theory behind it. Mech injection is so crude. I remember talking with Steve petty and he was telling me how crude it was on turbo motors and when they just bolted efi it picked up 200 hp and he didn't have a clue what he was doing. So I'm thinking anything that acts like a efi component and puts in a fine mist versus crude drops had to be better.

9. bill

bill Member

did you see much difference how much is it

10. aj481x

aj481x Member

but, just like the rest of the jets, etc. the flow has to be right.

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

As said you have to retune it to get the extra power. Cooling the incoming air is the same as lowering the DA and you need more fuel. If you can burn more fuel then you are going to make more power. More power will show in the final mph. If you are regarding the ignition for traction right now then you probably will not see much change in ET

12. DMPE

DMPE Member

it is worth 60 hp at 5000 rpm and tapers to no increase by 8000. The guy to talk to is Donnie Bender Donnie the guy you want to talk to if you have interest in the spray bar. 13174394947 The dyno testing of DJE nozzles / spray bars was done at dmpe. Rage stepped up Don's game by making Stainless bars as the original aluminum bars failed (i have a junk blower to testify). The reason the increase of power reduces with rpm is time. Latent diffusion of heat is the explanation of the decrease in intake temperature. However as the motor speeds up airspeed increases. Therefor the amount of time the nozzle has to reduce temperature goes down and so does the benefit. These nozzles worked great in the Bob Dalton Streamliner as it never sees rpm on its 5 mile journey. In the window we were working with Don hit a home run with his nozzle design. I believe the design will be improved upon as Don Jackson puts more time into the project.

13. jody stroud

We saw 80 hp on Rage's dyno. And we're able to jet to motor a lot richer than without the spray bar. We definitely are able to burn more fuel. And as Mike said.... Burn more fuel.....make more power.

14. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

Great explainaton Darren. So basically since most engines operate between 7000-11,000 rpm window this doesn't do enough to justify itself in a typical race engine application , sounds like something else to fall into the rotors of my billet blower.

15. jody stroud

Suits me if no one else runs them.... I'd rather my competition not. I'm sure Other racers that run them think the same way

16. TOL

TOL Active Member

Were the nozzles all pointing down toward the rotors from above, or up into the incoming air, or some combination of both? You hit the nail on the head about the exposure/residence time being critical.

17. jody stroud

They are placed , all 26 of them in my case, right behind the hat blades pointing to the rear of the hat. They turn the fuel into a vapor

18. jody stroud

Ask 2016 PDRA pro extreme world champion what he thinks of the spray bar in his hat...... Mike Janis also runs a spray bar setup in his billet hat. If you are gonna put fuel up top to lube the rotors and help seal them to the case you may as well use it to cool the intake charge more than plain nozzles do. Do you have to have it to have a fast car.... No.... But it does help, and you can put more fuel in the motor with them than with regular nozzles and get it to light.

19. lucky devil

lucky devil Member

This is a very interesting thread , thanks.

20. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Great explanation Darren.

At first thought in regards to "time" to cool...simple response would be distance. Many cars are limited to what can be done with injector design.

I also wonder what affect rotor/tip speed has on it. Surely the velocity of a screw blower at 92-128 over is much higher than a roots at 14-30 over

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016