Base Line Help

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by blwnaway, Jun 28, 2006.

1. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

I have a a 526 hemi with a 206D and am experiencing something that I was told should not happen with my settings. I am getting cylinder temps in the 200's at stage and the hottest during an 1/8th mile pass of 850 and that was just one cylinder, the others were as low as 450. Here is the base line that I was given and it is exactley what I have.
    Hat Nozzles are 2 x .080 and 2 x .060 on 30 lb check for a total hat area of .0157. My dribblers and ports are all in between .048 and .050 for a total are of .0155 dribbler and .0155 port areas. My total area is .0467. I have one servo bypass in low gear only of .060 and the pump is a 17.4 gallon pump. I am using a 100 main bypass and am spinning the blower 96%. I have since changed the .060 in low gear to a .080 and added a full time pump loop with an .080 in it as well and am having the same problems. My pump is flowing what it should be at the RPMs I checked it at. I have tried everything I know to do, this is my first time running a screw charger and am beginning to think that my total area must be too great. I have also spun the blower up to 120 over and only minimul change. This thing is a turd. Any ideas?

2. eli

eli Banned

Here is the psi tune upright from the book they send with the injecror and blower @ 92 over (leagel nhra)
    d p
    .047/#1/.048 Hat 2@.80 in airated nozzeles
    .050/#3/.047
    .050/#5/.046 Hat 2@.80 in 30psi check nozzles hat area .0201
    .050/#7/.051

.050/#2/.046
    .050/#4/.049
    .050/#6/.062
    .050/#8/.049
    drib.area 155 in
    port area157 in

What i think is going on here is the motor is SO lean that you dont have enough fuel to make any heat, this is just a starting point, you may have to richen up the port nozzles, rember a screw blower likes a lot of fuel it is basicly the opaset of a roots,also did you buy or modafy your barrel valve to acomadate the screw blower? if not you can buy one from PSI, or buy drazzys book from psi and it will tell you what you have to do, good luck

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

hat

the biggest problem, regardless if that is your problem is running your hat nozzles off 30 lb checks. i'm surprised your blower hasn't locked up on the jackstands. you need to run your hat nozzles off a distribution block straight off the barrel valve. some people run 2 of the hat nozzles in nozzle holders with a small idle check. i ran cannon's car without and had no problems. when the car is running you should feel very minimal heat by placing your hand at the base of the blower on the back around the seam between the back plate and case. if you feel heat, you need more nozzle area through the blower. if it's hot, shut it off.

the thing could be so lean on idle it wont get temperature. it doesn't have enough fuel to burn it up.

your main jet sounds a little big for a 17.4 gallon pump at 96 over. without knowing compression, etc, its hard to know how much fuel to put in it.

i'd look hard to make sure you dont have something stupid going on with the barrel valve. if it's just way too rich, it will make it idle temps low.

for it to be that rich, the pipes would look like an irrigation system.

also, look into the ignition. a bad coil or points box will make it have no cahones, thus normal fuel levels will make it appear to be fat and not run. if the ignition is really off, it will really run like a turd.

fix the hat nozzles regardless. check barrel valve, put some fuel in it, and start it up. see if the idle temps dont get back in line just sitting on the stands. i consider 450 at stage to be a little rich...so if you can't get 400-800 at stage rpm on the stands, theres no use in taking it to the track.

what application is this?

4. ALKY4sure

ALKY4sure New Member

Guys;
    Here is what I'm thinking;;)
    I don’t think it is “so lean it’s not making heat”. To sustain the combustion process you need a relatively close air to fuel ratio. If as you say it is lean, then the temps would be on the hotter side of the equation. It’s the same as when we pull the fuel shutoff after a warm-up, the motor leans out, revs up then shuts off. There would have to be some indication of being too lean, such as cooked oil, popping cracking of bolts, blued headers, something that would point you in the right direction. For him to make runs with the blower at 96% and then 125% over without any noticeable temp changes or performance gains, something has to be very wrong. His fuel system sounds like it should be “Close”. I agree it must be an extremely weak ignition or a very retarded mag or camshaft timing. For him to be able to make repeated runs past half track and not blow the burst panels out, I don’t see it being too lean. We also run a dual nozzle setup and I think he just said it wrong about the hat nozzles after a 30# check, it wouldn’t last multiple runs setup like that.

Gerry Woz

5. eli

eli Banned

The 30lb. check is a little spring and ball that go`s in the nozzel holder, i know what hes talking about, going from 92% to 125% would make it even leaner, proving my point. Its called being on the wrong side of the fuel curve/Or the mag or coil is bad like Will said. Peace! any how let use know what you found to be wrong!:rolleyes: Oh, one more thing when you get the right barrel valve leak it to 75/80%

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  6. Will Hanna

Staff Member

plug gap

could be as simple as the plug gap or type of plugs used. ngk 6061-10 is the standard....run about .016 on gap.

i know from experience that it can get so lean it wont blow up or get out of it's own way for that matter. but like you said gerry, even then, it would stand to reason it would at least be a firecracker idling. first couple times out, we wasn't using the fuel management, so we didn't drain the lines. first run it would damn near clog the fuel filter with crap. it would fall on its face it would be so lean. finally found the culprit. now i put an air hose on the pressure side of the management, fire the timers and blow it out with air to keep fuel from setting up.

ignition and cam timing might be the likely suspects.

7. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

The barell valve has been altered per PSI's diagram and is at 76%. The 30lb nozzles on the hat were via them but I see what you are saying, at what pressure should I reduce that to? Also the car is obviously rich, it looks ok on the stands but after a burn out and stage it seems to get richer and begin misting fuel from the zoomies. It alomost seems as if the fuel going into the cylinders is not misting, more like pouring in and not allowing it to burn efficently. The oil is another indication of how rich it is. I have had 2 cams in the car, one was in at 38degrees and I just recieved my cam back from being repaired and it is in at 36 degrees, it is a 296/500 crane. I took it off the crank trigger, changed the mag and cap set up, wires check ok in ohms, different msd box, new rev chip and took it off of the retard, still have the same problems. It acts as if it is retarded but I have checked and changed everything I know to check or change. It is a Veney motor and I run it at 29 degrees timing. The application is pro mod. The baseline I am using is the same one posted above out of the PSI book. I also changed the barell valve. Could there be something wrong with this blower that would make it do this, I have eliminated most every other possible problem. I'm about ready to pour the next jug of alcohol on the roof and setting it all on fire LOL.

8. Witchdoctor

Witchdoctor Member

Don't know anything about PSI superchargers but I had a friend :) who put the rotors in backwards on an 8.71. It acted the same way as what your describing. Hope this might help. Jon

9. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

wow

:confused: :confused: am confused !!! check the quill shaft lolololo

10. eli

eli Banned

If you have a racepac in the car check the fuel flow graft aganist the rpm graft, if it`s below the rpm its lean if its above the rpm its rich, theroedacly if it follows the rpm on the same plane its just right, i like to keep it just a smig above the rpm ,just because im cheap and don`t like to blow shit up!:rolleyes:Buy the way did you buy that blower new or used????

11. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

Bought the blower used, but from someone I know, the blower lifted on the last pass it made prior to me getting it. It was running consistently prior to that. The fuel flow follows the graph. Boost is down some but I assume it is would be in a situation like this, only about 39 lbs or so at 96%

12. eli

eli Banned

check your mesages

13. Will Hanna

Staff Member

boost

look at a run and see what the boost is at .3....should be in the mid 30's regardless of the air.

nozzles, i would run at least two with no check. constant feed. the blower needs the fuel at all times to keep it lubricated. if you have run it much like this, blower could be dead....

was the 'different' msd box a new one? next is to try a new coil.

are both heads grounded to each other. i've heard of instances with a 44 mag where that was a major problem (T. Howell).

what type of nozzle bodies?

starting to smell like more of an ignition problem. dave leahy at electrimotion is the most trusted name in drag racing to test your ignition. may need to send it to him.

if it was overly retarded, the egt's would read higher because it will fire the unburned fuel in the pipes...

i would go back to the crank trigger. we just got a new computer to monitor timing, and even with the new beefier mag drives, the timing really jumps around...

14. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

I just learned that my plate was supposed to be modified for port nozzles which it is not, the coil is new as well as the msd and I only too the crank trigger away as a process of elimination. When the plate arrives I will start over I guess but on the jacks and not the track. I will post after trying it out. The heads are grounded on one strap connected to both heads and then to the chassis where they have always been. What can go wrong with a screw charger? I know things break but what should I look for?

15. Will Hanna

Staff Member

plate?

some people cut the middle of the plate out (flush with intake opening)....

is this a psi restraint plate? even if it's not, just cut the middle out of the one you got...but i didn't know there was different types of plates for a psi...

i'm assuming your talking restraint plate...??

16. KJC

KJC Authorized Merchant

It sound like you need more air in the injector. 12/14 thousandth of clearance in the butterfly. Cantrell racing product. Kevin. specializing in screw blower upgrade.

17. eli

eli Banned

Blwnaway, Well I bet your head is spinning now, You got about 15 different things to check, You can rest asured that your problum will be some thing stupid, Start from scrach check all your fuel system ,make sure every thing is clean inside the lines, nozzels are not cloged, All the poppets are going in the right direction, The plate your refuring to is that the one that comes with the blower? If it is do not mess with it just make sure the o ring is in place on both sides, Check your cam timming, And recheck your top dead center mark.;)

18. JERRY McGONIGLE

JERRY McGONIGLE New Member

PSI Blower

Have you checked the fuel pressure. According to my calculations, you are putting 15 GPM to the motor, which is good for aprox 2500 HP, with 2.5 GPM returning to the tank. With the Total area at .0545 which includes the return pill, my calulations show about 70 PSI at 17.4 GPM which would be at aprox. 7000 R'sPM, or 35 PSI at 3500 R'sPM, etc. I think you mentioned that you thought the fuel may not be atomizing properly. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. KJC

KJC Authorized Merchant

The black book from PSI is not always correct. It is information that came from other racers....some good and some Bad! The pump loop should not be the same as the main jet. You are way too rich. The black book tells you to set the butterflies at .002/.003 - this is wrong! The motor is loading up with fuel. The longer it runs, the worse it gets. Kevin, Cantrell Racing Products PS. Specializing in upgrading the screw blower. 602-918-4945