871 Blower Scarred

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by dcovey, May 20, 2021.

1. dcovey

dcovey Member

Last season I broke a rod. Pieces of the piston and other material somehow went from the crankcase to the top of the blower and back down.
    When this happened the metal scarred the case from front to rear pretty bad. Bad enough I don't want to use it this way.

So my question is, can the case be honed to take the scarring out?
    If I were to get it honed could I just increase the thickness of the teflon to get the clearance I need?.

Would I be better off to just get another case ?

I have a 1471 I could put on it instead of messing with the 971 but hate that I would have to start over with the tune.

Thanks
    Dave

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I don’t think the case can be saved. If they make oversized strips I have never seen them. If you adjusted the overdrive on the 14-71 so you had the same boost then the tune would be close.

3. dcovey

dcovey Member

Mike, I guess what I should have said was after re-stripping the rotor I have to put them in the lathe and trim them to the clearance I'm shooting for.
    That usually means trimming .005-.008 off.

I'm not even sure that would clean it up.

Aaron Sipple used a high pressure coating designed for coating gears and such on the inside of a blower case. I know that stuff could be used to build it up in the crevasses. But it looked miserable to do. Aaron looked like a coal miner after a shift while he was working it down..lol

I think I will do as you suggest, just figure what OD I will need on the 1471.

Thanks
    Dave

DC: Anybody got a 871 case for cheap?..LOL