1. thunderstruckracing

thunderstruckracing New Member

hey. we have a super comp dragster with a hi performance small block and i was wondering how much horsepower we would lose if we put zoomies on it. any input would be great...thanks tyler

2. blutowski

blutowski New Member

if ya have stepped headers on it now, they would be lighter by a little. the wieght savings would negate any real horsepower loss you may see. i would say that any real horsepower loss by the switch would be negligable at best.......... but thats just an opinion, there are alot smarter guys on here than me. they may be able to tell ya something more concrete.

3. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

Depending on the definition of high performance?? But on an injected a/nd engine, you are going to lose 80-90 on the dyno. Now when the car is running, the air actually pulls the pulse out of a properly angled zoomie that is out in semi-clean air. Having the engine behind you will hurt the clean air part, but on the track you will not see anywhere near the loss that you see in a closed room. Maybe a 10th or so.
    In the boat world we learned that some N/A boats actually ran a bigger MPH in some cases with zoomies that were aggressively angled and designed to use the air to pull the exhaust out of the zoomies. The problem is from a dead stop until the air starts helping out.

4. T.A.D. 776

T.A.D. 776 New Member

NHRA requires Super Comp 8.90 index cars to have mufflers. That is a little hard to do with Zoomies.
    I personally feel that you will have a wider power band with the long tube headers and collectors.
    We ran a Super Eliminator car 7.90 index years ago and had a set of Zoomies and a fancy custom set of swept back stepped tuned headers with mufflers in them and used both types on the car as some tracks required mufflers.
    The Zoomies looked better were more aero dynamic weighed about 1/3 as much and made between round maintence easier.
    I felt the Zoomies were safer because they were less likely to break off and get run over with the rear tires.
    No noticeable difference in how fast the car went either way even with the mufflers. The car was 468 cid wedge supercharged and injected on alky and could run high 6 and low 7's when we wanted it to.

5. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

I know what the rule book says. But go to the next divisional or national and count the number of supercomp cars without mufflers of any sort. There are as many without any mufflers at all as there are with mufflers. I don't know if the NHRA is just done policing this rule or what. Now how do the super guys get laxed on a rule this important, but they pound us within an inch of our lives on stupid stuff. ???
    If you car is supercharged, the performance will be minimal difference on a dyno or on the track.