wrist pins

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Slayer, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Slayer

Slayer Member

I just bought a set of JE hemi pistons and pins for a blown alcohol dragster. (Kobelco HH 14-71, TFX, 500 ci) The pins I got (1.094 dia) are much lighter with a bigger through hole than what I ran last year. What pin is everybody running? Are these pins too week? Planning on running some quick eight races (6.00 range). Thanks, Gary

2. 572ALKYKB

572ALKYKB New Member

Is the hole tapered ?
    All blown application pins should be double tapered.
    If the hole in the pin is straight through I would not
    use them. Just my opinion. The pins I use are made by a guy by the name of hoffman's machine shop. These are the same pins Bill miller buys and sells with there pistons.
    You can call bill miller and get his number. Also hoffman's uses a special diamond polishing process.
    You can shave in the finish. If you look at anyone else's
    pin you can't even see your face in it. In hoffman's you
    can count the hairs on your face !!!
    Hope this helps.

3. Slayer

Slayer Member

Yes, they are tapered. The through hole on the JE pin is .687 while my old ones were tapered with a .500 through hole. Thanks, Gary

4. 572ALKYKB

572ALKYKB New Member

Hoffmans can make it .500 or any other size you like.
    You just can't beat the finish on hoffmans pins.
    Just call up bill miller and ask for there number
    I have lost it my self.

That's how long his pins last and last and last !!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

I've run the gamut of wrist pins. Taper wall to the washer end pins Brad sells. Nothing worked. Could've just been the tune up. But I will tell you this. I only use straight wall pins now. Hoffman makes them from case hardened H13 tool steel. They come out as easy as they went together, race after race. They are 1.094", .250 wall, 3.100" long. They weigh 276 grams. I know which JE pins your talking about, I used to work there. Don't use them!! These are the same pins Ora uses. You can get them from Butch Stetson at 503-829-9815.