word on the street for a/f change is...

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

word on the street for the a/f change is adding 100 lbs to minimum weight and dropping the weight per cid. so minimum weight would be 2125 for a/f and 2025 for blown. seems like we've seen weight not work before.....

2. was R4K

was R4K Member

weight changes SUCK, for either car! :(

3. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

Based on the top times I've seen, I don't think it will even things out.

4. Blown Hemi

Blown Hemi New Member

Won’t weight just increase load? How about taking away a mag.

5. Greg Duffield

Greg Duffield New Member

Adding weight won't do the trick. If anything, it will make the A/F cars run harder. Why wouldn't they just limit the nitro %? Limiting nitro, is like limiting overdrive on a blown car. Seems like they could play around with that aspect of the tune up, instead of just adding weight, which will add load, which will add power.

6. Wendland

Wendland Guest

2100 min. 5.0 per cid, smallest motor 411, biggest 456.....Hold on to your foot loops.

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

while i dont think adding weight will make them 'faster' i just dont think it will slow them down much. 5.0 lbs...so the 421 motors will have to be at 2100 lbs. i would say it might slow the a/f cars down .03-.04 at most.

8. Dean Adams

Adding weight to a nitro car DOES NOT add power! This idea that more dead weight on an AFD increases load and therefore increases the fuel they can burn which in turn makes them run faster is a myth. The engine doesn’t know how much the car weighs, it only knows what RPM it’s at. The only reason a “light” AFD might drop cylinders sooner than a “heavy” one is because it is accelerating harder and as a result got out of its preferred RPM range sooner. Bottom line, everything else being equal, lighter cars run quicker. Having said that however, I agree this change will probably not hurt the AFDs badly - maybe 5 to 7 hundredths.

9. Greg Duffield

Greg Duffield New Member

All I'm saying is adding weight to an A/F car, may not be necessarily be a disadvantage. The change in performance is cumulative. Everyone knows a lighter car is quicker. However, if the additional weight can be used to plant the rear harder at launch, therefore increasing traction, thus allowing you to apply more clutch, which in turn puts an increased load on the engine (which in my experiences has resulted in the ability to burn more fuel), then why couldn't you get a heavier car to launch just as hard? I'm not saying you could slap 500 lbs on these cars, and not see a change in performance. I agree that even the 100 lbs will hurt them a bit at first, but I wouldn't look for it to be a long term performance inhibitor. Nitro is what makes the A/F cars run so hard, so why not just start with limiting how much they can run?

10. Wendland

Wendland Guest

Well at least now everyone won't have to buy cranks and rods and pistons and all the other crap...It was the least exspensive thing they could do.... :cool:

11. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

Looks like TAD will be all A-fuel sooner than later!

12. Langenhammer

Langenhammer New Member

I'd be willing to bet that NHRA didn't change the nitro percentage because they don't want to have to "police" it. And it would also cause all of us to have to buy those trick percentage checkers, which are somewhat pricey.