Wizzard Mag Shutoff Switch Question

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by shawn davis, May 29, 2006.

1. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

I Used To See The Big Shutoff From Wizzards On Mag 44s, Now They Sell It With A Solenoid.i'd Prefer Just The Switch, How Does It Hold Up? Will It Last Or Do I Have To Use The Solenoid? Rather Not Have The 12 Volt Draw And Extra Weight If I Could Do Without It

2. Tim Stevens

Just bought what you are talking about, would like any input (pros/cpns) b4 I install! Thanks Tim

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Well for sure you can't just use the switch. A ProMag 44 will generate 44 amps through the primary circuit and that will arc the switch to pieces. It might last for one or two runs then it would probably weld the contacts together and prevent you from shutting th otor off or burn it out so i will not start.

We use the MSD Mag shutoff solenoid with no problems.

4. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

I Know A Few Cars(mostly Mcamis Built) That Have Just The Switch,but Dont Know How It Lasts. I Know The Solenoid Is About 30.00, Paid 160.00 For The Switch Thinking I Could Run Just It To Make The Wireing A Lil Neater.

5. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Mike,

Gonna have to disagree with you on that one, we've been using the plunger switch for 4 years with a pro mag 44 without a single problem on our TAFC and our old TAD.

Shawn and the rest,

DO NOT start the car with the switch, use grounding wires on the coil and you'll have no problem. I just don't like the idea of the air switch from MSD, more things to leak and malfuntion. The plunger switch it one wire to coil +, grounds through the switch body to the chassis.

Just keep on top of it like everything else, change the switch every so often (we changed our out for a new one after 2 years of service and still works fine, just a spare).

Good luck!

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Sorry, brain fart. i thought he was talking about just a regular switch and not the large Mallory plunger switch. Yes the plunger switch works great.

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Air switch

I'm sick of fighting the air kill switch, we'll have a big mallory style plunger switch on the car at the next race. I always kill the car with the switch as soon as the chutes hit because I don't want the engine to run any longer than it has to. I think this is causing problems with the air switch. We fought the same switch for several years but never lost any runs with Cannon's car. If you do run the switch, it is wise to have a quick disconnect wired in, so when it fails on the starting line (and it will) you can bypass the switch and make the run.

Everyone I know that runs the big Mallory style switch has never had any problems, so that's why we're making the switch. We'll still start the car with the kill wire, but I'll kill it with the switch.

8. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Just to clarify, I didn't mean the Mallory plunger switch...we've had issues with those, I've heard mixed reviews. The one I thought Shawn was talking about was the one that Wizard's sells, the SAE plunger switch (round body, not square). We got ours from Wizards, though Good Vibrations Racing in Cali sells them too.

Photo below:

[​IMG]

9. was R4K

was R4K Member

Nathan- you sure you got that switch from Wizards? LOL! Good luck next weekend in Mission- bob

10. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

Switch

Nathan The One I Got From Wizard, Is The One He Has Listed In His Catalog, A Large Red Pushbutton, Has A Aluminum Faceplate And Plastic Body,clear In The Back Where You Can Visually See The Contacts. I Know Tim Mcamis Sells Them Also For His Cars.
    I'm Not Sure If It Is A Mallory Switch Or Not

11. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

Switch

I'll Call Tom This Morning To Verify What It Is, Everyone Was Closed Monday

12. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

Mag Kill Switch

We Have Sold A Handful Of The Type That Nathan Is Running And So Far No Problems With Customers That Run A Mag 44.

13. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

switch

The swiych with the big red knob and clear back can be bought from grangers. We have used this swich for years and no problems, we use it for starting and shutdown. Use it on a 44. Priced at about 80.00$ Mike

14. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Haha, Bob I meant the one previous, don't worry - I remember I got that one from you! Thanks!

15. clint thompson

Kill (er) Switches

THERE IS A NEW AIRSWITCH AVAILABLE. YOU CAN GET A HOLD OF SEAN BROWN AT DAVENPORTS. VERY NICE AIR SOLENOID. EASY VISUAL SIGN TO TELL IF IT IS ON OR OFF, REAL NICE PLUG YOU PULL WHICH ELIMINATES THE ALIGTOR CLIPS AND WIRE. LOOKS LIKE A NICE QUALITY PART. I HAVEN'T PUT IT ON YET, BUT SEAN SAYS THE ONE ON HANK COOLIDGES CAR IS OVER TWO YEARS OLD WITH NO ISSUES. IT IS KINDA EXPENSIVE AT $285. I HAVE USED THE JOHNNY WEST (MSD) AIR SWITCH FOR MANY YEARS WITHOUT FAILURE, ALTHOUGH WE DON'T START THE CAR WITH IT AND I SHUT THE MOTOR OFF WITH THE FUEL NOT THE SWITCH. REALLY JUST MORE OF A SAFETY DEVICE AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED.

IF ANYONE WANTS A SPE SWITCH LIKE NATHAN'S PICTURE. EMAIL ME. I HAVE A BRAND NEW ONE, NEVER MOUNTED THAT I PAID 95.00 FOR FROM SPE. I'LL INCLUDE THE SHIPPING FOR 75.00.

CT6345@AOL.COM

16. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

MSD kill switch with six shooter

Clint,
    I use a standard good quality single pole switch. I checked with MSD and was told it was ok to do if you have a six shoother. The swith furnishes power to the six shooter which only requires about an amp. I was concerned about wheather it would shut the engine off under power but last year had the battery wire that feeds the six shooter switch voltage come off at about 400 feet and it killed the engine instantly. With no power to the six hooter the mag will not have any output. I use the same switch to arm the #1 channel on the six shooter. I used the solonids, and also the Mallery switch. Had problems with the Mallery after a while but figured out I did not either. I checked with a couple of TF guys and they some do the same thing. I have never had a problem associated with doing it this way to my knowdlege.
    Bob Holley

17. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

six shooter kill

the only problem with using the six shooter switch as a kill, is as i found out last weekend, most cars are running a capacitor inline with the six shooter battery. that way if there is a temporary loss of voltage, the six shooter will have power for 3 or so seconds. i guess you could put a switch behind the capacitor, but i was instructed to put our capacitor behind all the switches. so if you were to kill it like that with the six shooter switch, the engine would run for another three seconds or so. in some situations, you may need the engine to die right now. after our ignition woes in shreveport, i would highly advise anyone running a six shooter to get the msd capacitor set up and put it on your car.

18. funnycarguy 230

This May Sound Stupid But I Was Told To Never Shutdown The Engine With The Mag Kill Switch Unless Needed Because It Loads The Engine Up With Fuel Im No Expert That Is Just What I Was Told. And I Read That Some Of You Use The Kill Switch To Shut Down At The End Of A Run We Have Always Used The Fuel Shutoff To Kill The Engine What Is Really The Correct Way Or Does It Matter

19. FreightTrain

FreightTrain New Member

kill switch

Hi Nathan
    I can confirm that the kill switch in your old TAD is still working fine! As instucted by Serge when he came down to New Zealand to help out in our fisrt races, we also start car with the ground wire across the terminals and shut off the fuel for shut down on a run.No problems what so ever all season.
    Think I should by a spare though just in case.Seen Serge lately?

Mark

20. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Capacitor

You are right Will when I changed over to the kill switch on the six shooter I removed the capacitor.
    The other post was also correct in that you would not normally shut the engine down with the kill switch. You first shut fuel off and by the time you hit the kill switch the engine is either dead or almost there.