Wishbone VS bottom 4 link bars tied together

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by moparchris440, Sep 10, 2013.

1. moparchris440

moparchris440 Member

Blown Hemi 2800 hp 3000lbs door car on 10.5's running 6.50 1/4 mile and 4.20's 1/8 mile......Recently I bumped the wall and bent my wish bone, My chassie guy removed the wishbone and X tied my bottom 4 link bars together solid. Since this I've been off .10 to the 60' and it spinns the tires alot more. Any experience? Did tying the bottom bars together make it to rigid and not allowing it to move like a wishbone sacrificing traction?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  2. bruce boland

bruce boland Member

4 link

Tried that years ago and found the car way too stiff. Spun the tires a lot and seemed to move around a lot. My advice, put a wishbone back in it.

3. TOL

TOL Active Member

Bruce and others. What are your thoughts on the double wishbone deal (ie: X-Link like what Jim used to use in the Vanishing Point Cars) versus a single wishbone? Thanks.

4. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

I ran the X link. liked it much better than a wishbone myself.
    Knew others who ran the welded bars, not sure of their experiences with them though

5. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

Janis ran the welded bars in that skinny kid built stratus. He fought same thing. I was evil when he peddled it. You never knew which way it was gonna go.

6. TOL

TOL Active Member

Just curious, what did you like about the x-link versus a normal wishbone?

7. aj481x

aj481x Member

You can do the X deal two ways, welded solid, or with Heim type ends.

8. Jason Bunker

Jason Bunker Member

Welded solid seems to make the car very unstable/twitchy. Had a customer with a welded setup and changed to a standard wishbone and the car seemed to work better and performance impoved because of it. Picked it up at every increment and made it drive like a Cadillac.

Ive also seen chassis builders do an X with heims like Stan eluded to. That seems to work well also. Geese's X-Link also is a proven piece.

9. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

For one, it didnt break!
    Not as much slop as a typical wishbone either. Broke the tabs off a Mcamis housing with
    a wishbone, the X link uses long bolts thru the 4 link heims. Never liked the idea of all the locating being done with one rod end.
    Takes a little longer to install and a little harder to work around, worth the effort in my opinion.

10. bruce boland

bruce boland Member

Wishbone

My new car has is a Vanishing Point Firebird with the x wishbone and is mounted with heim joints to the 4 link brackets. Drives like a Cadillac.
    Bruce