Wing Angle

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Mac, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Mac

Mac Member

Looking to setup the rear wing and add a front wing on my altered.
    What angle should they be at? Good place to start?

-dual element rear
    - single front
    -200-210 mph

2. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

dont know if this is much help..on my ta/d we run anything from 1/2 to 3 deg. in the wing..Dave

3. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

this is a tough question, as just about every wing profile is different. it all depends on how aggressive the profile of the wing is, as to how much angle you want to run. you also have to take the size on the wing into consideration. our wing is around 620 sq. in. with a pretty thin profile and we run 1.5-2 degrees. as far as the front goes, we use 2 single canard wings, which are around 150 sq. in. the profile is pretty thin (flat) and they are set at 2 degrees. i think that would be a good place for you to start.
    Darren

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

As Darren pointed out it is very difficult to just come up with a set angle. The aerodynamics of your car has a lot to do with what is going on. The air coming over and on the sides of a body can hit the wing from the underneath and actually cause lift on a negative wing. I watched a Corvette Promod actually lift the rear wheels off the ground because the wing was too far forward on the car. We put a wing on the rear of our 98 TBird and found that zero lift was actually around a negative 6* on the wing and we had a real wing. I would highly recommend mounting that rear wing as far back and as high as you can get it to be in the smooth air.

Do you have rear shocks on the altered? That would really help in measuring the downforce. Let me know if you have shocks and I will tell you how to measure the downforce.

The other thing you have to be real careful of is not putting so much angle on the wing that it actually stalls and becomes a boat anchor. If it is a real Bernoulli wing then it will stall just like and real aircraft wing if too much angle. I have seen some cars with 25-30* down angle on their wings. That has to stall the wing and really slow them down.

If no shocks then I would start off with too much negative angle just for safety. Darren's angles maybe a good stat off point.

5. Mac

Mac Member

Sorry I didn't give you guys some more info on the car.

125" TAFC Chassis,23 T body,solid rear suspension

Rear wing is dual element:
    Top wing is 44"x5.5" and bottom is 44"x7.5" and both are fairly level profile

Front wing: 44" x 5"

6. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

Mac...
    your rear wing is 572 sq. in. and the front is 220 sq. in. our car is probably pretty similar to yours as far as aerodynamics go, we also run a T body. i will go with my earlier recommendation...2 in the front and 2 in the back. occasionally we will put another degree in the back if the track is slick. hope this helps
    Darren

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

dual element

Unless you are running a nitro motor, the dual element wing will be way more than you ever need on a blown alcohol motor. Make sure you have a couple of degrees of front wing with that much rear wing.

If it's blown alcohol, I think you would pick up quite a bit with a single element wing. You may be able to get away with just taking the second element off your wing.