Windshield Fogging

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by spitzerscott, Oct 15, 2014.

1. spitzerscott

spitzerscott Member

Robertson's car at Reading, What would cause the windshield to fog up like that? At the line and down track?

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

What time of day or night was it? Was the ambient temperature below the dew point? If so it will fog the windows. At night I always bring a towel to cover the windshield if the temps are dropping below the dew point

3. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I believe it was just before second round of Top Fuel on Sunday. No one else had that problem. Probably had a leak in the heater coil under the dash. I had that happen once to a 1960 Corvette I used to own. I had a radiator shop fix it. LOL

4. spitzerscott

spitzerscott Member

Randy, I know most guys turn off the defroster before the run, that really eats horsepower. :)

5. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Yea, the defroster setting also turns on the air conditioning compressor which acts as a dehumidifier. It's a real HP eater.

On my car I had to clamp off the heater hoses until I could get it fixed. LOL

In all seriousness, many years ago we had a body get a lot of moisture under it when we set it aside in a shady area of wet grass while we worked on the car. As the day warmed up the moisture evaporating off the grass collected under the cab of the body, plus it was a pretty humid day. We noticed the fogged windows in time to move the body on to asphalt in the sun (and lifted the roof hatch) well before we ran so it dried out in time.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014