Will Hanna and 97%

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by G.Reichert, Nov 11, 2005.

1. G.Reichert

G.Reichert New Member

Will anyone who has an a/fuel car knows that were not running 98%. Mixing alcohol with nitro usually we mix it at 97.5 to 97.8 %. You cant mix it right at 98% as it heats up from the run the percentage goes up and then its not legal so we have to keep it under 98%.

Also as for regional racing NO WAY we use division races for our testing its the only time we have to test and the tracks are usually prepared better then if we rented a track.

2. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Does NHRA pull a Fuel check on the A-Fuelers after every run or Before??

3. G.Reichert

G.Reichert New Member

they check our fuel before and after each run and it cant be over 98% after the run

4. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

I Agree

our team just flunked a fuel check , after a run couple weeks ago went to the line with 97.8 after pass came up to scale & fuel check @ 98.4 over & d/qed so i keep it @ 97.6 or lower & have never been over , but checkers do vary & so does the temp , so i cant see anybody leaving the trailer @ 98.0
    & passing just my oppinon , CONGRATS TO BARS LEAK TEAM ,WAY TO GO !!
    thats one bad hot rod , & your proving that its takes hard work not new trick parts , to win

5. G.Reichert

G.Reichert New Member

thank you its hard to keep the fuel so it doesnt go over 98% everyone thinks were running at 98% when its really under all the time. were usually at 97.6 or 7 just to keep it under 98% if you go much higher then it ends up at 98.5 or higher and then its a DQ

6. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

mixing

when i was mixing fuel earlier in the year, nhra was still setting up a 'station' to speak at someone's trailer where you could check your jugs. since we didn't have a digital unit, it was easier to throw i think it was 11 oz's (with the measuring cup i used) then creep up on it. i would think most are still checking their mixtures with nhra prior to running to avoid surprises. i always shot for 97.9, and didn't put a drop of fuel in the car that didn't get checked on an nhra hydrometer. i dont know but i've been told that the fuel teams push 85% pretty hard, in the 84.9 range.

a 1% change will still be a 1% change. if the rule is 98 now and people run 97.6, then you're saying at 97 they will be at 96.6. 85% in top fuel is really 84.whatever.

point being if a 97% rule change were made, the effect would still be at most 1%. some teams might look into mixing closer.

7. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

fuel check

had my fuel checked @ scale twice before going into car , collins took that into consideration & even chilled it down to 60deg & rechecked it , still failed
    but thats MY BADD & felt i got a very fair shake , so i still agree with GLORIA
    we would still be @ 96.5 with a 97% change & i believe collins would agree, I have been in the staging lanes , & I havent seen 97.9 latley , if so i would for sure add some alky before the run & thats the idea about checking it in the staging lanes ,

8. F.E.

F.E. New Member

Can't tell you how many times we were going to be "over" on percentage due to mixing to close to 98%....before the pass 97.8...after the run 98.1...so mixing came closer to 97.5 to 97.6 just not to get DQ...Will, Im not going to argue about what you want with "blower changes" but I do know how much it affected our car going from 100 to 98 (not to mention 96% in Vegas testing) so lets leave the percentage alone...if anything give us 100% back and let you guys have a C-rotor or spin the D- blower a bit more!! Nothing left to B*tch about...

9. Kosmo

Kosmo tad

so are you saying these cars are turning the teens at 97 % ?

10. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Anyone who has a BAD... knows your a hammer

11. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

so are you saying these cars are turning the teens at 97 % ?

yes i am , & it took alot of hard work & effort also , with a hole bunch of$$$
    that too!! so lets give those folks a hand ! are blown guys saying they are maxed out on every mechanical part of there blown combo & there is nothing they can improve on ,to make there cars improve on performance,

12. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

I would dare to say that when Sean ran that .33, Norm has some more left time will tell....

KB

13. G.Reichert

G.Reichert New Member

He has alot more left, he is a good tuner and that car will be in the twenties next season.

14. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Also, I am sure many AFD cars are switching to Bad, because there is alot left...

What do you like to drink?

15. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

I will tell you that if my fuel checked 97.8 with the tech mans digital meter in the pits before a run and over 98% after the run I would be some upset. The whole purpose of getting the tech man in the pits before the run to verify the nitro % is so you will not get disqualified. I don't know what goes on in other regions but in div. four Jim Anderson will check the fuel with his digital meter
    in the pits and the same meter is used after the run. It has always been the same. If it were different then it is a problem with the testing or meter. The fuel should check the same even with a change in temp. Thats what factoring the temp. is all about. Is there something I'm missing here? Still think we should be able to run 98% based on the specefic gravity os the fuel.
    We are getting hit twice when the temp is hot. The specefic gravity of the fuel goes down which results in less power and the altitude goes up which means there is not a lot you can do with no blower to compensate.
    There is only so many oxygen molecules in a gallon of fuel at 60 degrees and as the temp rises and the fuel expands there is less oxygen molecules to a gallon of fuel. If we were allowed to run the fuel at 98% by specefic gravity at least that would be a constant.

16. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

AMEN!

Kevin

17. topfuell

topfuell New Member

re: ask the ex blown racers

how do the ex blower / now a/fooler feel about things. they have been on both sides of the fence, unlike me. and lets be honest about it cause i can tell you that change sucks. i didnt say that not qual #1 or not running 5.20 doesnt suck. CHANGE SUCKS. CONGRADS TO THE RICHERT GANG. theres just hard work at its best.