why nobody shows for the Citrus Nats in WPB

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by coyotedale, Dec 4, 2003.

1. coyotedale

coyotedale Member

Not even 10 years ago the Citrus Nats at Mosorso's track would have a decent turnout of cars (both TAD and TAFC).

Obviously it has dwindled to a pretty low turnout of dragsters, and funny cars are not even contested anymore.

I know the track management quite well, and would like some feedback as to why this event has gone downhill in car count.

A few issues that come to mind is track safety, payout, scheduled on the heels of thanksgiving (family time at home).

What I'd like to see are the thoughts by those who race and used to race in these classes.

2. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Too far to travel for out of division cars. D2 has a low car count at their divisionals also.

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

dale,

money is a big issue. at $4,000 to win, more than likely you're still going to lose money to win, even more of a loss if you have to travel. when a team considers an exibition event, it just about has to be profitable to go, unless its close. racers have to run divisionals and nationals to get points despite the money loss there too.

couple in the fact all the recerts that go on with these cars compared to ten years ago, and there's alot of stuff to send off, that don't always come back quick. that and money i would say are the two biggest contributors.

alot of racers liked bradenton's big purse to win, but it remains to be seen how many racers they will lose to PRI show. i know wells will be one of them. haley's done and cannon elected to send out recert parts early.

guy kelly, gunderson, allen and others that could be coming should still make for a good shootout for the cash.

thats my .02
    will

4. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

I agree with most of what Will said. However, I've been doing this since the 70's and the thing that is lacking more than anything is incentive. Years ago both West Palm and Bradenton worked together to make the racers feel it was a vacation in FL as the weather deteriorated in the rest of the country. We used to look forward to 10 days in sunny FL virtually all expense paid.What a deal!I came from Boston back then and others came from Iowa. I have great memories of that week.The tracks set up reduced rate hotels at both venues,and you didn't have to win to relax. If you promoted it that way and fattened up the bottom of the pay ladder to cover the expense of staying for 10 days, I think you could bring back the cars. Maybe not the top 10 national points leaders, but a good "entertaining show".. and thats what fills the stands. Besides, most of the spectators want to see fast, smoky, noisey cars run ,,the more the better....not 2 very quick cars.(it could be worse,NASCAR fans go to see crashes) If you are a promoter and you think I may have a point or two, but you're not quite sure..I challenge you to start right now to hire 8 dragsters and 8 funny cars for next year and get the other track to do the same thing with the same cars, as a package.You could start promoting real names from July to Dec so your fans are aware of the show, and the racers have something to look forward to. Thanks for listening.I'm not in the top 10, but I believe in Fuel Burnin' Fire Breathin' Tire Smokin' ACTION!!!

5. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Well said Bill! It's all about the promotion of the event. Cars don't have to run teens to sell tickets. A little incentive to racers could bring in a respectible field.

6. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

good points bill. i wouldn't quite short change today's fan, though.

granted, you are going to have fans that come for the show, that may not know the difference between how good a 5.20 and a 5.70, or care. i think there is a significant percentage of drag racing fan base, that will drive an hour or so, spend some money to watch a race like these that feature alcohol cars. when i got into this business a few years ago, i thought like you, people don't know about alcohol racers. i think the increased tv package, both pro and alky, has increased awareness of alcohol drivers. with nhra's help, we can reach the level busch racing is on. what changed my mind is the amount of people i see at a bracket race, or race, in public, that i didnt know before talking to, that said things like 'yeah i saw insidetopalcohol.com on the side of shelly howard's car on tv.' or the one i laugh at 'i saw it on scotty cannon's kid's dragster during the gator tv show' (talking about jason - no relation). it's not just the racers wanting to watch themselves on tv, race fans are tuning in to the alky shows because its a race and they like racing.

back to the point. i think it does add a significant amount of value to your show to have recognized hitters. to many fans i think 'match race' has a negative connotation these days. the more you make your event a 'race/event'with nationally recognized hitters opposed to a 'match race' you're going to have more spectators.

7. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

again, I agree with most of what you say. I didn't use the term"match race" you did. I said "hire" you can still have an open race with hired cars, It would simply solidify the show. If I knew in Feb that I was going to be in FL for 10 days in the end of Nov. alot of things get worked out like crew reserving the time off,and maybe forgoing the vacation in August for one in Nov. While I personallly prefer match racing, I did not intend for thatin this case. I think that if 8 cars where hired in the spring for that "series". with just a minimal expense agreement, it would at least insure a full field as advertised. I know guys like Bruce H. and Kenny W. have gone almost every year since the late 70's and they come from mid Atlantic states hoping to have a racing vacation. I also know at some time in those years both of them have gone home without a check. Todays racers ,in my opinion, aren't going to do that year after year.They'll stay home and get ready for Pomona or Gainsville.as they probably should. I mean let's face it,they aren't going to rotate the earth at Moroso. and if they could, they should be ashamed of themselves for putting themselves and their mega expensive equipment at such an unreasonable risk! As for the mentioned fans who want to see 5.20 alcohol cars, they'll go to Gainesville ...a 5.20 worthy and capable facility.After all,You wouldn't go to a high school football stadium and expect to see the Cowboys play would you?..Thanks for listening. It's just how this old man sees it.

8. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

why would you. The cowgirls suck...

GO BIRDS!!! EAGLES!!!