Who will be next?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by wolfgang, Dec 10, 2003.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

I was thinking, with Wells and Thacker going in the 20's at Joliet, who do you think will be the next blown car to get there? Cofini? Hentges? Wilson? Kelly?

2. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

Does it really matter anymore? NHRA has put the writing on the wall. BAD is done...

3. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

If I had to guess I'd say Jeff Wilson with Marc White tuning could see some 20's. Maybe Shelly, also. I don't know how mant guy's are willing to put it on kill to achieve those results. Part's ain't cheap!
    Dan, if you think blown cars are done then I guess you should build an A-Fueler. Either that or quit complaining. The rules are what they are. You can't please everyone. One side or the other isn't going to be happy. For the first time in 30 years it's the blown guys.

4. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Looks like a blown car won down in FL. Ran a 5.34.
    Not bad.
    I talked to Randy Meyer and he said they tried running the car at Vegas with the additional wt.
    Results---DNQ
    The extra wt. may have more of an effect than a lot of people expect.
    Time will tell. It has to hurt some. Thats physics.

5. Tommy 2 Tone

Tommy 2 Tone New Member

Randy is going to blame his DNQ at Las Vegas on adding the 75 pounds to his car? Talk about a joke.

If you belive that, you should become a Proctologist, and not only stick your head up your own a$$, but those of others, and get paid for it.

6. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

At the race in Vegas, Alan Bradshaw told me they were having engine woes and he suspected an ignition problem.

Merry Christmas,

7. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Do you honestly believe that?

8. Bob Holley

Bob Holley New Member

Tommy two time,
    You just showed the whole world your IQ nothing I could add.

9. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Hey Pat, yes I believe that. A-fuel has been around for 40 years or better and it hasn't been competitive until the last couple of years, so why should I think otherwise? I know there have been guys trying to go fast in a-fuelers all through the 90's and nobody could, so nobody bitched. Finally they've got somewhat of a handle on them and all of a sudden most of the blown guys wanna sell there shit and say blown cars are history. Well the guys who liked a-fuel didn't give up when they were not competitive so why would you? Can you deny that a-fuelers have sucked for years and blown cars were the only way to be competitive in the class? I don't think you can!

10. Rocky

Rocky New Member

I disagree that the BAD teams want to say their cars are history. They're selling them because they believe the sanctioning body's rules no longer allow them to run competitively.

You are correct that it is only in the last five years or so that AFD teams have turned the corner on performance and consistency. The unfortunate aspect of this is that the BAD combination is pretty well worked out. The few remaining options available to these teams to improve their performance are not being permitted by the sanctioning body.

11. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

Good post there Rocky...

12. Langenhammer

Langenhammer New Member

Rocky, I too agree with you. But in the same breath, I also think that the A-fuel guys shouldn't be penalized for choosing to run a combo that has such awesome potential. It's been the drag racing way for as long as there has been drag racing. NO????? You know, take your best option. It does suck that the powers that be don't want to allow the alky guys to improve the performance of their combo, through new innovation. But they make the rules and we must all suck it up and race. Not trying to stir the pot, just the way I see it. Peace.

13. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Lagenhammer,

I do agree with you. I am not happy that the AFD teams are being penalized. I would have much prefered that the sanctioning body lift the restrictions on the BAD cars. However, that's not what they chose to do. All the teams that choose to compete will have to abide by those decisions regardless of what they or the fans think.

14. The Zone

The Zone Member

THe biggest reason that NHRA has given me on new technology is a complete catch-22. THey are not in touch with reality. THey say the cost of allowing a c- blower or whatever new trick is to costly and the racers don't want. Of course no one wants to spend money if they don't have to............but that is the reality. You have to spend money to go fast. You also have to spend money to go slower as a/fuelers are finding out and they found out during the last couple rules changes. And as the fc guys found out when they dropped blower od. It all cost money. So Len and anyone that can see beyond their tunnel vision, allow the changes, don't turn back the clock on progression and make the tracks earn the right to host div races. Make them upgrade their facilities. If they are'nt going to improve give the tracks that are willing to keep up with the times more than one event.
    Dean Murdoch, Speedzone Magazine

15. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

How quick did Tom Topping, Keith Stark, and Ed Vickroy run in the early 90's?

16. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Pat, Although a few guys like Stark ran fast in the 90's there was almost no consistancy. I don't recall any nitro cars winning championships back then. Just because a couple of guys ran fast on occasion doesn't mean they were competitive on a regular basis.

Zone, I agree that allowing blown cars to step up performance is the way to go. It would be cheaper. Now guys have to turn 10000 rpm's or more to go fast, and that's what kills a motor. If you allow them a new blower or something else they don't have to set it on kill every pass. Although guy's like Marty are probably going to have it on kill no matter what.

17. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by ch3no2:
    I know there have been guys trying to go fast in a-fuelers all through the 90's and nobody could, so nobody bitched. Can you deny that a-fuelers have sucked for years and blown cars were the only way to be competitive in the class? I don't think you can!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Singing a different tune now, aren't you?

18. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

I think that this is probably one of the big reasons that they decided not to allow the blown cars the different supercharger that would speed them up. It is true that it would speed us up to a level with most a-fuel cars, but as you said what's saying the blown guys wouldn't have it on kill anyways. If I had the money, I know I would.

19. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

NHRA can always drop the weight break on the blown cars, like 4.0 or 4.1 per cube. Wouldn't that make a Big difference?

20. DHE

DHE New Member

Dean,what Nathan said-Exactly

Dale Hill