Whipple vs PSI Blower

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Timo, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Timo

Timo Member

What is better Whipple or PSI?
    What was the fastest ET with a Whipple in Top Alcohol?
    Which experience do you have with both of them?
    How much boost does the whipple normal make?

2. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

I believe that Walt & Pat Austin ran as well with a Whipple as anyone did at that time with a PSI. They are now not allowed on the NHRA circuit, I think they're mostly being used on boats or Mud Boggers.

I ran a Whipple for a couple of seasons, and liked it better mostly because you run about the same overdrive with the Whipple as you would with a roots (ie, 40 or 50%), so the pulleys were not outrageous sizes and we really didn't have any belt problems.

3. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

When Pat was the first TA/FC to crack the 5.50's back in 1999 he had already switched to a PSI.

Whipple:

Heavy, can't run in NHRA, no one makes them and you can't certify them, let alone get one fixed. They are worthless to resell.

PSI:

New generation PSI's make more power, weigh less and can be sent to Tempe, Arizona, to be fixed if it swallows a bolt or a bird. Huge market for used ones.

4. It's Fixable...

It's Fixable... New Member

Agree generally with what Randy G says about Whipple; but for European use Benny Lybant of Lysholm in Sweden (who actually manufactured the Whipple blower for Art Whipple) can re-tag them for FIA competition.

However the Whipple is dead technology and surely its better to start a program with a live product like the PSI ?

5. JRB

JRB Guest

We have 5 Pro Mod cars out here that run PSI`s. 4 C Rotors, and 1 D. And there is also a new car that will have a Whipple on it. We will let you know on the differences seen between all 3, as far as on Door Cars.

6. TOL

TOL Active Member

JRB, the Whipple you mention, is that an axial or radial job. Would be interested to know which one and how it does. Thanks.

7. smbs

smbs New Member

whipple vs psi

John Zappia has run faster with a Whipple and Walt Austin ( 10 + year old technology) than with all the latest stuff in Top Doorslamer. 5.92 I think.

8. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Please notice that Zap has switched to a PSI.
    Timo; PSI main advantage, 40+ lbs. lighter and approximately 40 degree inlet temp cooler.
    Also for you is the fact that you have a fellow countryman down the road who is a dealer and can recertify!
    Bob (I get around)

9. smbs

smbs New Member

Yes you are right Bob, but the Whipple combo is still faster, so far.

10. blownalky557

blownalky557 New Member

I talked to Dustin at Whipple in Fresno not too long ago, he said they can service and repair the 980's.

My 980R makes 55 PSI of boost.

-William

11. Danny Humphreys

Newberry can also take service the whipple.