Whipple R980 help with bearing plate

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by outlaw3621, Jan 23, 2017.

1. outlaw3621

outlaw3621 New Member

Hi All.
    I have a Whipple R980 Supercharger that I am trying to remove the rear bearing plate to replace / service the rear seals. I have removed the back plate and the gears, but I am not 100% sure on how to remove the bearing plate. I have heard that this requires some heat to help remove it but I am not sure if this is actually correct.
    I have searched all over the internet and read many of the forums but cant find the information needed.
    I live in Australia so this type of information is not easily obtained.

can anyone help or have any documentation on these old superchargers.

thanks

2. Blown5402

Blown5402 Member

3. Force Fed

Force Fed Member

Give Gary Phillips a call, He rebuilds them and sfi certifies them.

4. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

I don't think there is anyone who can recert a Whipple 980!

TADHemiracer likes this.
  5. StingRay

StingRay New Member

Outlaw3621,

First question to address is do you have the correct seals and bearings to put back in once you get the old ones out? Without an expandable fixture there is no way to press the bearing out from the outside race so reusing the bearings is iffy and not worth the risk. I have the correct seals (Viton material) and bearings in stock if needed and would be glad to walk you through the process. I re-build and upgrade many of these units including Coatings, Drive hub modifications, ceramic bearings, Teflon based grease, and adding Teflon strips. You can check some of my work out on facebook "Competition Engine Designs". Been busy and have not updated page in a while but just call any time.

Darryl
    CED, llc.
    225-572-6348

6. Soldierboy0098

Soldierboy0098 Active Member

Give Jim Kyle up above a call, he is the new Whipple King and has owned about 10 of them in the last year :)