Whipple chargers ?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by td 1471, Dec 11, 2011.

1. td 1471

td 1471 Member

I see on the Pomona blower inspection thread that you cant run the older Whipple chargers at a nhra event. is this just for the heads up class or events in general ?. did you guys at Whipple find out if the OD restrictions were the same as before.

2. Hal Westerlund

Hal Westerlund New Member

No Whipples At NHRA events at all. No one to re-cert them. The original people want a fortune to license the recert people and there is no way to recover the fee by inspecting blowers so they died in NHRA.The smaller blowers are not the original Whipples,and another can of worms.

I just went to Whipple Superchargers website and did a quick read. The only thing the same about the 1980' 1990's Whipple is Art Whipple. The rest would be NEW technology in MHO which would be another costly performance move the class doesn't need.
    True, we need comprtition in suppliers, however it has to be apples to apples, not who has the better mousetrap.
    When my friends catch up with Frank Manzo using the same parts available to him as the rest, then maybe it's time to look at advancements, for now it's more homework to find how it is done....
    Hal

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  3. mike wharram

mike wharram New Member

keep dreaming pete lol

4. Whipple Charged

Whipple Charged New Member

We can recertify and have done some over the past few years.

To clarify on the NHRA, when requesting confirmation on OD's, we could never get anyone to answer phone calls or emails, and got a certified letter that says they can't be run! No idea why, but it seems there happy with a SC monopoly. Too bad, the new SC is coming.....

[​IMG]

5. fed-west

fed-west Member

Whipple Chargers,

You still work on the early Whipple and can get parts for them? I emailed the company a couple of times and never got a reply.

Tom

6. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

you can locate bearings-seals thru a bearing supplier. Kinda tough to id them sometimes. I've had to go into several,pretty easy to work on. having a hard time locating a one piece long snout shaft if anyone knows about one...

7. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

When is it coming out? Lighter than the older versions I hope and not a ridiculously high price for recertification?

What’s the market for screw chargers? Honestly, how many TAD and TAFC’s are there in the US that run NHRA? I ask because I don’t have a clue. You know that NHRA is not the only game in town. There is a truckload of boat racers, tractor pullers, mud-boggers, outlaw door slammers, etc. that could benefit from a power adder especially if it is priced within reach and is also SFI certified. Yes, some may run on NHRA tracks so that would have to be addressed. A lot of the ADRL guys in Pro Extreme (PX) and Extreme Ten Five (XTF) run screw chargers. You also have the fine folk’s Down Under and those in the UK and Europe who seem to be running quite a few screw chargers. They don’t have to be stuck with any “SC monopoly”. Just my two cents.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  8. Whipple Charged

We do work on, very little parts available.

9. Whipple Charged

There's quite a few with the European, ADRL, Aussie, etc.

Lighter, yes, about 30lbs lighter.

Recert's have never been expensive. It use to be $500 plus sticker and parts. It took a minimum of 6 hours to tear apart, clean and rebuild, not counting inspection. New SC is similar, but cost will be between $850-$1050 and its good for 3 years.

I just think NHRA is making a poor decision by not letting other SC mfg's supply SC's. Either way, our SC will be targeted towards other crowds, and with 2 sizes available, there's really very little limit on power.

10. Whipple Charged

11. CStep

CStep New Member

12. Whipple Charged

Billet housing although there will be a cast option at a later date.