Which Tools would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by DragDad, Aug 13, 2003.

1. DragDad

DragDad New Member

Hey Guys: Here's something a little different. I'd appreciate your advise on this one.

I'm in a position where I've been offered a franchise-dealership with both Snap-On and Matco Tools. While Snap-On's is an established route, Matco's would be a new territory. All other things like mileage, financing, etc. are pretty much the same.

Problem is, I like both companies. The managers are good people, etc. I've done a ton of research on both companies. Yet, I have no major difference between them except for the opinions of people I talk with.

What are your thoughts on which company is better - who would you go with? Thanks!

2. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

I operate an auto repair business that my dad started in 1969. The majority of those years we have been Snap-on and that is the brand of tool I grew up with. Nothing feels quite as right to me.
    I did use Matco tools while working for Chuck Etchells on Jim Epler's funny car and was a little surprised at how well I liked them. It seems that Matco is a little more promotions oriented and is more of a presence in auto racing (at least in drag racing). To me that would tilt it in their favor.

3. Sportsman

Sportsman TA/FC

We have been in the same location for over 17 years and in that time we have had 2 different Snap-On dealers and 5 different Matco dealers. Now I realize that some of the dealers went out because of poor business practices and our current Matco guy seems to be doing well. So I can’t really say which is better for the vendor. My preference is if it’s a hand tool it’s a Snap-On. On the other stuff I’ll buy off the truck with the best deal or selection. My advice, although I am not a tool salesman, is if you can’t afford to stuff your truck full of tools (from my observations a lot of tools are bought on impulse when some one sees it on the shelf) and have a lot of money on the street (credit) I wouldn’t do it.