Which side of the blower belt?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by funnycarguy 230, Dec 13, 2006.

1. funnycarguy 230

I'm sure I will catch crap about this question but I'm going to ask anyway. I have seen idler pulleys run on the inside of a blower belt pushing out and I've seen them on the outside of the belt. What is the correct way for the belt to run on the idler pulley? And if you don't mind tell me why it's run that way. Thanks

2. was R4K

was R4K Member

we have run them both ways- had really good luck removing our toothed idler on the top fuel eng and running a smooth idler pushing on the inside of the belt- did this due to an attempt to have as little slack in the belt as possible without the idler pulley (I mean to say that the belt would barely go over the top and bottom pulley and the idler took up very little slack) hope this is understandable??:)

3. eli

eli Banned

I like the belt on the inside of the idler pully, because it grabs more teeth of the top and bottom pullys, the way i see it the more contact the belt makes with the pullys the less chance of the belt jumping over the teeth. was that a civel answer? (the grummpy old man) ;)

4. funnycarguy 230

Eli, What Belts Do You Run 13.9 14mm Or? And How Often Do You Change Them

5. eli

eli Banned

I quit racing permantly about two years ago, thats why i spill my guts, cuz it don't bother me anymore, any way any belt you use, it grabs more with the idler on the outside and if you flip the belt between rounds, ( put an arrow on it and make it go around the other way) every run, it will last longer, it's a bit of extra work but I'm a cheap grumpy old man, and at $150.00 or more it is worth it. The Grumpy Old Man ;) :)p you know who this is for)

6. Sportsman

Sportsman TA/FC

7. eli

eli Banned

Think of that, Grumpy Old Man learns something! :)

8. was R4K

was R4K Member

thats OK Eli- I'm a grumpy old man too, but I'm still racing, so have to keep learning--as I said- belt on the inside worked better on Nitro:D

9. Sportsman

Sportsman TA/FC

You have probably forgotten more than I will ever know. :)

10. eli

eli Banned

Thanks, and I hope some day someone will pay you the same complement. :)