Which Pro-mag to choose?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Raymond Raaymakers, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Raymond Raaymakers

Raymond Raaymakers New Member

I run in a blown alky 6.50et limited class, running KB etc, I am currently running a SM IV and all is fine thus far, but I am looking to upgrade to a Pro-mag with built in rev limiter.

I was on the MSD site and noticed that they didnt list the 20 amper anymore, were they a bad thing?

What are the pro's and cons between the 44 and 20 ampers, cost of plugs, leads or reliability etc?

Since I run in a limited class, is it an overkill with the 44 amper?

Cheers Ray

2. DQUES

DQUES Member

The 20 amp mag is only available as an upgrade to some of the 12 amp units . If you check the upgrade section of the promag web site , the upgrade is listed for $400.00 I think .

3. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

there is a reason they don't list the 20 amp mag anymore- avoid it like the plague. Everybody who I knew that had them had problems with them. Go with the 44 amp mag- you wont ever regret it. Dave Germain

4. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

You might also want to take a look at the MSD 10 Plus unit. The only thing that delivers more energy to the plug is the MSD 44. In the future your going to see more of the 10 Plus units being used as racers get comfortable with the idea. The 10 Plus puts out (700 millijoules) over twice the energy as a MSD 12 (300 millijoules). The 44 is rated at 950 millijoules.

That's my thought's anyway...........blessings............Ron Clevenger.

5. NarrowCamaro

NarrowCamaro New Member

Guess it depends who you ask, we have had issues with our 44 a few times but never had any problems with our 20 we keep it around for a spare because we can count on it. It always gets the job done!

6. Raymond Raaymakers

Raymond Raaymakers New Member

DO you need a different spark plug to run with the 44?
    Cheers Ray