where went the oil pressure???

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Racer22, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Racer22

Racer22 New Member

My last thread was about oil fill in a KB Bae Fathead 451".
    10 qt dragster pan, three qt accumulator, one qt oil filter plus lines, dual pickup kb pump. Inside Top Alky recommended 15 qt to start. Put in 19 total so 15 remaining in pan. Did I interpret this incorrectly? Went to Englishtown old time drags yesterday and could not start the motor with a MSD 10+, new pickup, rcd magnetic wheel etc, all new combo first time out. After trouble shooting for 3 hours checking everything turns out to be a defective new crank trigger pickup. Borrowed someone's spare old rusty piece and engine fired right up. Played for 5 or 6 starts, timing adjustments, fuel, barrel valve etc until it sounded awsome. 135 lbs oil pressure, 60 wt racing oil. suddenly pressure dropped to 80 lbs, crack throttle and the 50 lb warning light flickered, then back to 80 psi. Later after some cooling oil pressure back to 100 psi. Engine did not seem overly hot.
    Could it be the oil gradually foamed and was sucking air due to the 15 qt in the pan? Could it be we run a dzus baffle and the oil can not get down to the pan in a hurry? Never exceeded 4000 crack.
    Drained the oil just now, 16 qt into the bucket, not a sign of water or alcohol, clean like brand new oil.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
    Hank W:confused:

2. REEHL EQUIPMENT

REEHL EQUIPMENT Authorized Merchant

What kind of oil filter, and where are you picking up the oil pressure?

3. craig moss

craig moss Member

Drop a quart or 2 and try again. If it drops pull the dipstick and see if tiny bubbles are present on the stick :confused::eek:

4. Racer22

Racer22 New Member

We are using a System 1, 45 micron oil filter.
    The oil pressure is taken off the left side main oil galley by approximately the #2 main bearing location. Same location for the 50 lb low oil pressure sensor.

5. Racer22

Racer22 New Member

Bump up :d ....................

hey, and thanks guys......

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  6. DQUES

DQUES Member

System 1 does make a 70 micron filter that is for the 70 wt oil ( higher flow ) , is it possible that your filter is not flowing enough oil ? . Put in a call to system 1 and see what they have to say . Just an idea .

7. Moparious Maximus

When I got my System 1 they told me to use the 70 micron filter just to make sure there wasnt a restriction in the filter.