Where to measure Exhaust Temp

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Timo, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Timo

Timo Member

How deep must I put a EGT Exhaust Tempereature Sensor in the Header to measure the right Temperature on Data Logger?

In the Middle of the pipe?

I have the Dan Olsen Alcohol Dragster Headers with the nuts weldet in.

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Yes, you want the tip of the probe to be centered in the tube.

3. Fooler

Fooler New Member

Exhaust temps

i understand that exhaust temps vary from engine combination to engine combination, but on average with a well tuned engine, what kind of exhaust temps would you normally see. Would there be a large diffrence between blown and normally aspirated exhaust temps?

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Not for alcohol. Temps vary from logger to logger or if the probe goes through the top or through the bottom of the tube. The ones on top read hotter. The EGTs on alcohol are normally at 1150* plus or minus 50 but once you get to around 1150* it is better to start reading the plugs on a blower motor from that point on. It also makes a difference as to how the probes have been handled dropping them on the floor or scraping them across the floor whe you pull them out will change the accuracy of the probe.

5. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

mr mike

professor mike is correct. the egt's on top are about 100 degrees hotter than the bottom. 1150 is typically the edge on top, 1050 bottom. results may vary. consult your tuner to see which egt is right for you. although rare, some racers may experience burned pistons, pinched ring lands, hammered bearings, blackened cranks, nausea, and in rare cases, death smoke and kicked rods. ...;)