When is alcohol bad?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Earl S., Dec 4, 2006.

1. Earl S.

Earl S. New Member

I am new to this forum, and I have a question for you alcohol guys.
    At what point on the hydrometer do you consider the fuel bad?
    I have heard opinions from .810 to .820 @ 60F. My new hydrometer is only an 1/8 inch from .790 to .810 - takes the old bifocals to see!!
    I run an Enderle injected 68 Nova, and am having a blast with it. It has been a learning experience for this old guy.
    I've got it running in the 9.80's @ 5000 DA.
    My ride
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  2. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Does whatever sanctioning body you run under require fuel checks? TAD/TAFC in NHRA competition are required to undergo fuel checks. Otherwise if you strain it to keep out the gel/algae and the motor runs then you are good to go I would think.

3. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Bad alky

Methanol is very hydrous, meaning it sucks up water almost instantly.
    Keep cap on jugs.
    Drain tank every night.

Been thrown out a few times to learn this.
    Also, car runs like crap.
    Try to throw a match in water..........

4. Earl S.

Earl S. New Member

I do all that - cap the jugs, drain tank, empty my 5 gal jugs back into the barrel after the race, lube the pump and spool valve, etc.
    I am curious at what point they decide the fuel is illegal. What specific gravity number is the limit?
    When your car runs like crap - did you check the fuel with a hydrometer, and what was the number?
    Thanks

5. Bob Meyer

Don't remember, I'm probably older than you! Can't see those lines either!

The numbers are in the NHRA rule book I think.

6. craig moss

craig moss Member

when meth is bad or watered down

meth has a specific gravity of 0.796 to 0.798 ifits over 0.800 it shouldbe concidered bad as per the new book 5000 hp on methanol I just got it today there is a shit load of info in it you can buy it for 75.00 shipped to youre door i found it at www.racecarbook.com good luck craig I am now looking foe a cheap hydrometer if anyone knows of one please call me 918 271 0154

7. Chuck Stevens

Chuck Stevens New Member

Not cheap, but Kinsler has'em.

8. JSracing

JSracing New Member

There's been a few float by on ebay, used. Don't know if they are worth anything but they are there.

9. Tim Stevens

I bought mine at Wizaeds, around $100 I think?

10. Earl S.

Earl S. New Member

Bob -- I am the president and CEO of the "Old Geezer" club at the Yellowstone Drag Strip here in Billings. ;)
    Hit the big "60" this year -- You older than that!! :eek: :eek:

11. Earl S.

Earl S. New Member

Thanks Craig,
    That's what I was looking for.
    The distance from .795 to .800 on my hydrometer is only a 1/16 in -- better get those new glasses!
    Got my hydrometer from Good Vibrations - Just under $140.00.

12. eli

eli Banned

13. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

alky

in a bracket application where you aren't getting fuel checked, if you run top lube you should be ok.

as far as worrying if it goes bad, i'm guessing montana is relatively dry when it comes to humidity, so you would have to store the alcohol for a really long time for it to go bad if it was in a sealed drum. an alcohol motor goes through enough fuel if you're racing, that drum won't be sitting long.

with my sc car, with top lube, i never drained it unless it was going to sit for a prolonged period of time.

14. Thurston

Thurston New

More Storage Tips

Try not to store your barrel on concrete floors or the aluminum floor of your trailer. If you have too, put the barrel up on 2 by’s to let the air move underneath this helps keep the condensation down on the barrel, and always keep the barrel sealed up tight, and it will store a good while this way.

15. Bob Meyer

By three years, maybe that's why I get all those kind of e-mails that I do........

16. Lethal Threat Racing

what are the right part numbers on the website for the hydrometer need?

17. Earl S.

Earl S. New Member

Thanks for the link.
    I ordered the .760 to .830 hydrometer for about the same money Good Vibrations would have charged me to return the one I bought from them -- if they would have taken it back.

In the past, I have had good service from Good Vibrations, but when I tried to return the hydrometer they basically told me "sorry".

I am not sure if the tech was just having a bad day, but his attitude left me with a bad feeling about any future business with them.

18. Lethal Threat Racing

I will ask a second time. What is the part #'s you ordered? I can not get the link on my computer. Thanks

19. bob szabo

bob szabo FC / altered

good & bad methanol

Thanks Craig Moss for the favorable comment about our methanol book. Regarding the original question about good and bad methanol, it is fairly forgiving as many have experienced. However, we looked into the fuel check methods from a couple sanctioning organizations, and there are differences. A couple of our methanol book contributors have also had experience with fuels from different suppliers that pass fuel check and run a bit different. So the answer looks like a long one.
    I have heard from many that Kinsler is an example of a top notch supplier that pays attention to calibration. If you buy a fuel checking device and run at an organization with fuel checks, get with the fuel inspector with your instrument readings and a fuel sample and compare to their readings.
    In the industry, the fuel inspector's equipment would be called the master or reference. You will find that calibration to a master or reference is an ongoing task. They called that task ISO9000 in industry. Some of you may have had that experience. In industry, that task can bend your mind in some cases.
    After our study of methanol, our own racing experience, and working with many others, I believe the methanol source, your storage methods, and various contibutors to contamination such as from fuel line maintenance and refueling practices are an occasional contributor of performance problems that are usually overlooked. That and the fuel checks methods left a lot to write about in our books.
    bob szabo
    www.racecarbook.com
    (707) 446 2917

20. eli

eli Banned

I had a condensation problem with the tank on my toilet, it would get so wet that it dripped on the floor and i tought that i had a leak, there's a kit that insolates the tank and wala no more condensation, i wonder if you were to insalate the barral with say the insalation kit for a hot water heater if that would stop the problem?? ;) :D