Wheels

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Z MAN, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Z MAN

Z MAN Member

Does anyone besides weld make a set of liner wheels that does away with the inner tube ?

2. nitroscott

nitroscott Member

Liners?

Excuse my ignorance but what does liners do, I here alot of people talking about them. Thanks

3. KEITH CLARK

KEITH CLARK Member

liners

liners with tubes hold the tire to the wheel [ non bead lock wheels] the tube is inflated to 50 psi or more, the tire is set to race press with a separate valve stem

4. nitroscott

nitroscott Member

Another question

So the liners keep the tire more securely on the wheel? I have 16 screws per side on my 14" wheels and I am going to run 14" tires w non beadlocks. I am going to run a stock sized BBC on injected alchy with a 1200-1400# rail. Do I need these liners or will I be ok with just screws? The only reason I am asking is I am woried about running non beadlock wheels. I would think that the tube would be a good thing to keep the air in incase I do lose the bead seal. Thanks

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  5. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

You don,t need liners at the et's you'll be running. Screws or beadlocks will be fine.

6. nitroscott

nitroscott Member

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. That answers my question about the liners, but should I run the tubes for safety? Thanks

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Weld is about the only mfg that I know of that makes a liner wheel that you can get away with not running the tube. It has to be a later model liner wheel...probably 2008 or later.

If you buy a new wheel, I highly recommend the knurled bead option. It really locates the tire well. Normally with a liner wheel combo you have to mark the tire and stay on top of how much it moves on the rim and constantly re balance them. With our new Welds with the knurl, the tire never moves on the wheel.

For what it's worth, a Centerline Convo pro with a tube and liner is about the same weight as a Weld with no tube, just the liner. I would rather have the tire that doesn't move on the rim. Helps keep everything balanced.

The other thing with running a tubeless deal with a liner is you have to keep fairly fresh liners on it, or it will cross over from the high pressure in the liner to the low pressure in the tire. You will have to run the Hoosier liners, I don't think Goodyears will work this way.

8. HootersFunnyCar

I run a hoosier liner on my convo pros with no tubes. Have two sets and both work well. Some tire slippage on the rim but once they "set" they seem to stay. The knuled option does look like a good idea though.

9. nitroscott

nitroscott Member

My combination is Weld 14" Alumistar wheels with 13" to 14" slicks, 16 screws, both sides, per wheel. Should I run tubes to keep the air in tire in case tires loose bead seat. You know in case I come off the line sideways, shift to second and the car gets on the bars and I click it early to a 7.20 at 170. HeHe:D

10. Moparious Maximus

We run both cars with screws only, my heavy car is 3250lbs and has been to 7.99, and the rail weighs 1400lbs and has been 7.20. I do run tubes in the heavy car, I think it helps support the sidewalls, which it needs. The light car currently does not have tubes but I think its something we are gonna try.

11. Z MAN

Z MAN Member

Thanks will i though i would be saving some weight ? the less you have to spin is better.

12. Clayto

Clayto new

Any tips on using the hoosier liner and tube on Convo Pros?
    I tried it and could not get the liner to seat square on the bead??
    So went back to the old goodyear.
    Greg.

13. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Do you feel that since the tire isn't slipping on the rim and it's "tugging" the motor that one should maybe fatten it .05 or .10 in the main?
    :cool:

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34