wheels for liners

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by badbird, Oct 24, 2010.

1. badbird

badbird New Member

Anyone know if you need a special wheel to mount a tire/tube/liner on to
    as we want to try non beadlocks on our pro mod, will a regular american racing hd non beadlock wheel be ok?
    anyone tried this any oppinions?

Thanks

2. backmotor

backmotor Owner/Crewchief/Test Pilot

We use Centerline (non-beadlock) regular Convo Pro wheels, w/ tubes and liners, never had a problem :cool:

3. badbird

badbird New Member

do you have to run two valves in the wheel?

did you find any advantage over a beadlock wheel??
    thanks
    Graham

4. backmotor

Yes, Hoosier supplied the valve stems. Never ran 'shake-locks' so I can't compare the 2 for you.

5. blown1969camaro

i ran non beadlock rims and regular rims with tubes and liners once and i just could not sleep with that . i raced one race with that and then disassembled for inspection what the problem is the regular rim has a saftey bead on it (it keeps the tire from coming off ) when you mount liners on it the liners hit that that bead that dont dont work
    i bought rims from weld for my pro mod www.mendola.org and then u dont have to worry
    call weld thell tell u
    chris

6. backmotor

The Centerlines are made for tubes/liners, they are SFI for top alky funny car/dragster, no lip in the way :cool:

7. JP

JP Member

Graham please check your emails

8. JP

JP Member

On a promod strong wheel centers are needed so make sure your wheels are adecuated and sfi tagged for pro mod

hossier sell a complete kit for about $ 330 consist of 2 liners, 2 tubes and 4 valves

Works very good.

9. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

wheels

Graham,

Yes you need wheels designed for a tube and liner to properly work. I would recommend Weld's new tubeless liner wheels with the aggressive knurl where the tire seats. We made 14 runs on Fred's car with zero tire movement on the rim.

The tubeless deal is nice because it saves about 7 lbs per tire. The down side is you just about have to put new liners (Hoosiers) on when you change tires (20-25 passes) to keep them sealed w/o the tube. It wouldn't hurt to have a set of tubes handy in case you have one leaking by and trying to equalize.

I wouldn't just go and put a conventional wheel with a liner/tube. The liner wheels have more bead area for the liner and tire bead to seat.

For the life of me, I don't know why the wheel companies don't do this, but you have to drill the rim yourself for the second valve stem. You have to drill it 7/8" in from the bead with an "I" drill bit and a 5/16-24 tap. You can get the valve assembly from Hoosier.

10. badbird

badbird New Member

Thanks Will
    Ill look on Welds site thanks mate see you next year i guess,

11. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

Didn't someone build a single valve stem that would do both inners and outers? I'm not sure whos liners were used, but I helped a guy that you screwed the center of the valve stem in to, check-air up, the liner, and screwed it out, to check-air up, the tire. I don't know who's liner, but he was running Hoosier slicks. Only ones I have ever seen.

12. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

single stem valve

Originally Goodyear made a tube with a dual element valve that screwed in to air the tube, then screwed out to air the tire. When Goodyear eventually ran out, the mfg said they wanted a minimum order of 100,000 units to make them again. Goodyear obviously didn't see the demand for that kind of order, plus I think they want everyone to run beadlocks anyway, so they scrapped that program. Dennis Taylor sold a valve to work with a conventional tube for a while, but everyone quickly realized how much better the dual stem system works.

Those dual element single stems were hard to keep sealed up and was hard on the tubes. They were always leaking down. The dual valve stem deal will hold air much better.

13. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

The single stem valve was also hard on low pressure tire gauges. :eek: make sure you have it screwed out all the way first. :D