Wheelie bar length

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by BBFA_Pilot, Oct 9, 2007.

1. BBFA_Pilot

BBFA_Pilot Member

After snapping my current wheelie bar at the last meeting of the year i'm having a new wheelie bar made.

The old bar was a single wheel but i'm changing to a dual wheel setup, considering going the full length 8ft wheelie bars. But as I don't know too much about these instruments i'm after a bit of help.

I know a lot of it will be down to personal opinion and tune up, but getting different peoples ideas would be helpful.

Many thanks

2. JT Heslink

JT Heslink New Member

We run an 8 foot single wheelie bar on our fuel altered. Over the years we have found that the longer bar is easier to tune the launch with.

3. nitro4100

nitro4100 New Member

Why the duel wheel? I would say a 8ft single wheel would work well on your car. seems what everyone elese runs and has good luck with.

4. michael hall

michael hall New Member

wheelie bar

We run a dual wheel, 6 foot on our car. 125", KB/BAE, Lenco w/ crowerglide. it carries the front wheels 6-8", goes straight, and has .980 60' times. Never had a problem with the bars "steering" the car either.

5. BBFA_Pilot

BBFA_Pilot Member

To be honest I don't think there is a performance advantage that one has over another type, I guess it's down to preference.

Mike: When your wheelie bars were made were they made with the right wheel slightly higher than the left to counter the torque reaction of the engine? Or is that just a racing myth.

6. altered boy

altered boy Outlaw Altered

while i agree there may not be a 'performance advantage' as far as e.t. and mph... but having worked on a competitive pro-mod car (suspended of course) and running my own nitro altered (solid f/c chassis) i can say there is a big difference in how you can guide/steer a car between a dual wheel bar and a single wheel bar. i run approximately a 7ft single wheel bar and like it and think JT is spot on... launches smooth and 'gives' a little so there is not violent reaction. i would think with more moving parts and the dual wheels you run the risk of really steering the car and that's not USUALLY a good thing

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  7. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

our bar is almost 8 ft. we run a single wheel, and never had any issues. i think the key to the whole deal is where to put the braces. it has to be rigid enough, but still give enough so it doesn't unload the tires. we used 1" wide strap for our braces, and bolted them in.......wouldn't change a thing.
    Darren Russell

8. Relentless

Relentless www.bretitanium.com

Joe, again ours is 8ft, single wheel, we are still having issues with our launch, its unloading the tyres, but there getting better, think like its been said th real vital thing is the braces.