wheelie bar and weight questions

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by CjRedden, Oct 5, 2015.

1. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

here is another question for you all. I am looking at ways to make my car lighter this off season. one possibility is going to a single wheelie bar from a dual. top sportsman nova BBC 14-71. ive been as fast as 6.80 at 208. right now my car weighs 2830 with me in it. I am I am looking into smaller lightweight batteries away from my 2 optimas in the trunk. right now I have dual 75 inch wheelie bars with made from the jerry bickel kit. titanium is out of the question due to cost. I am questioning the pros and cons of a single wheelie bar? my car does not steer from the wheelie bar as the right hits and the left barely hits. if the single wheel is lighter I would like to try this out. any recommendations as what may be best as far as length? and does anyone have input on whether to build them as a center wheel or a passenger offset?

also, I am looking into sending my Dart big M block out to have it cnc machined to lose weight? I am with the understanding Dart has a computer program that can take off weight from an iron block. is there any dangers to this that I should be aware of?

lastly, I plan on switching out my aluminum to carbon fiber, tubs and flooring in the front. and switching the aluminum tunnel to a carbon fiber bellypan. I am always looking at ways to knock weight off this thing as obviously, it is a tank.

2. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

Take the batteries out and go buy lithium ones. Well worth it. I did what your doing. I lost over 200 lbs. you can get rid of the door latches and buy a kit from Jeffers. Easy to do
    The single wheelie bar is awesome. Dan page Racecars makes the best lightest kit ,and cheap.
    Get rid of the charging lugs. Make s for a pain but were looking for weight ,
    Everyone sells carbon flat panels now. Big help.
    Titanium steering column. Easy and pretty cheap. Replace the moly shaft with ti.
    Change all braided line to xrp. Huge weight.
    Hope this helps.

3. overkill69

overkill69 Member

I built a 69 inch Joey Martin copy bar and it came in at 22 lbs or so. Very happy at 2550 lbs and .94 60ft.

Does carbon really save weight over aluminum panels/tubs? I thought it was just about looking cool.:cool:

4. jay70cuda

My floor panels did because they were powder coated. Same with the panels that close the back of the car off. But some people claim if you buy cheap carbon tubs that they are actually heavier than aluminum ones. My mcamis ones were real life. I went from a dual 95in bar that was 48lbs to a single 80 in bar that weights around 20lbs. .960s 60ft with a legal clutch car for ihra. Also you can do what most cars do and put both batteries in the gold car for 24vols and use anti gravity battery for electronics. I did and that battery is awesome. 3lbs and will last all weekend without a charge.

5. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

right now my aluminum tubs have a plastic liner in them to prevent the dents. so taking all of that out and replacing with carbon fiber should be worth a few lbs I hope. alone with a few other things I plan on trying.

6. turbo69camaro

turbo69camaro Member

lol the carbon tubs with the kevlar liner are as heavy as .040 alum but they do look cool and burn good in a bad fire

7. turbo69camaro

turbo69camaro Member

And if you sell your iron block and buy a aluminum one and not buy all the carbon it will be a net cost of zero but could remove 130 lbs or so way more than carbon and block lighting

8. Cdn526

Cdn526 Member

alum block

I agree...swap out your block instead of all the CF / etc...you still need to plant your car off the start, and removing weight from the back end doesn't help matters...get it off the front end.

9. jay70cuda

Are you the guy at Route 66 with the nova?
    FYI when I took my batteries ,cable and mounts out was 82lbs

10. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

Yes i do run at Joliet alot and run with the Midwest top sportsman group. I would love to run an aluminum block. Just gotta find the funding