Whats Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by eli, Jun 12, 2008.

1. eli

eli Banned

What if there was no nitro to be had, what if all the fuel cars had to run alky, what do you think would happen to the sport of drag racing, #1 Do you think the fans would still come to the races if they knew that there was no more nitro true no fault of any one, other than the suppliers? # 2 Would the current alky racers have an advantage over the nitro guys? :) Or With all the money they have would they catch up to the alky guys? :eek:

2. mbaker3

mbaker3 New Member

No more nitro, .......... what then!

Eli,

Interesting point!

If Alcohol was the only hi-end horse power fuel available, top alky cars would then be the "loudest, fastest, most obnoxiously impressive" cars running. Fans wouldn't even consider that the cars were "not nitro". They would be "awe stricken" that they were watching the fastest.

After that first period of shock that "Nitro is no longer", I don't think any of the fan base would change.

Would the current alky racers have an advantage over the nitro guys?

At first they wouldn't, because of the huge nitro sponsorships. After that, both the alky an nitro guys would be on the same playing field.

Understand that this is my humble opinion. And you already have heard what I think about opinions! :D

3. mark6052

mark6052 Member

they would probably split the class alittle differently. say screw blowers only at nationals. roots only for divisionals, add more weight. maybe and E-85 fuel class rule. alcohol and nitrous:eek: Twin motor diggers! sorry I got caught up in it.:eek:

4. noelmanton

noelmanton Authorized Merchant

64 TAFC's

Maybe some 64 car shows like back in the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Kenneth S

Kenneth S Member

They would probably make the current blown alky racers switch to blown gas.:eek:

6. troysitko

troysitko New Member

Kings of the Sport?

Would we get TV coverage then?

7. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

32 car blown alky fields,,,,,, Sweet!!

If they went to alky only professional class would be nice if they opened up the moratorium on block/head development to allow more exotic configurations, bore spacing, three valve, etc. Oh and the "C" blower. Clutch management of course. And if you went to ethanol you could claim that drag racing has joined the green revolution.

And for sportsmen you could being back the days of pro conp with standard helix blowers and todays current block/head tech. Cars like the funny car/altered of Jake Crimmins and top comp blown dragsters would run in this pro comp sportsman category.

8. noelmanton

noelmanton Authorized Merchant

We have already joined the “GREEN”. The impact on the environment is far greater when using Ethanol than Methanol.

Ethanol is the Robin Hood Fuel. That is where you steel food from the poor, turn it into fuel and sell it to the rich.

As for switching from methanol to something less it would be easier to change the designation on the car number from “Sportsman” to “PRO” !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noel Manton

9. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Not many of you were not around when NHRA banned the use of Nitro. The time period that insued was like the forgotten days of NHRA racing. They very quickly found out the fans loved the smell and noise the nitro cars furnished.
    Remove the retrictions holding the injected nitro cars down and they would be running in the 4's at 300 mph I think the fans would come out to see that!
    They would only burn a 1/4 of the fuel the blown cars do. Hows that for less polution? They would also be loud with fire out the exhaust at night!!!

10. eli

eli Banned

Absolutely a great analogy, right on Noel. ;) nitrohawk, the question was if nitro was NOT available. ;) Mbaker3, So far only 3.95 % of us have a$$holes.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  11. mbaker3

mbaker3 New Member

Wow!!!!!!! 96.05% of the population here! Maybe that's why so many seem to be unhappy about something all of the time:D

Just kidding folks, don't get "testy"!;)

12. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

I think that was in 1958, it was only when the AHRA allowed Nitro that the NHRA relented in 1963. And I like Blowers with my Fuel cars thank you!;)