What you guys do?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Medicone, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Medicone

Medicone New Member

Hey im kind of new to the whole Top alcohol scene, and was wondering what all you guys have to do or check between passes? Im use to the super comp where you put more fuel in it and check the tire prerssure. Like how long can you run on one engine and whats the average price of a new complete dragster that is? Thanks

2. michael hall

michael hall New Member

check

check your personal messages...

3. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Most of us learned by hanging out with a team, watching and learning. I believe one of those guys told me I would learn more by watchng and listening than I would by yakking. Nobody is trying to keep you out or keep secrets, it is just such a inane question to ask that nobody really wanted to reply to it. Go to the track, get your hands dirty. Dave Germain

4. jack castle

jack castle New Member

Stay away from these car's. They are bad for you. Not even drugs can compare.Just kidding. The best years of my life spent with Jimmy Jones racing TAFC.They are a whole lot of work at the race track and twice as much at the shop.:)

5. altered boy

altered boy Outlaw Altered

Jack is right...

before you get involved do some research and find a good support group

Me: "Hi I'm Sean and I'm addicted to spending too much money, blowing things up, pulling out my hair and working really long hot hours on the weekends at the dragstrip"

The Group: "Hi Sean"

you know how the rest goes... have fun

6. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

LOL.

You forgot: "Missing my family and working every weekend and evening at the shop."

RG

7. Dan Martin

Dan Martin New Member

Don't forget driving home all night after sitting around all weekend because of rain, using your time off from work for nothing, and going to work Monday morning with little or no sleep. But it really is worth it.......

8. Medicone

Medicone New Member

Ok well thanks for the reply's...I have a specific question though!?? Can a firefighter salary afford one of these cars? Cause on of the guys on this board was nice enough to message me and share some insight and he said it costs between 1500-2000 dollars per run? Is that so? Or is that just if ya break something? Bascially im just trying to figure out if i can afford it. I deff. have the time to put into it seeing how i only work 8 days a month!!

9. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

In my experience, if you have to ask if you can afford something, you probably can't....

10. eli

eli Banned

You may have the time, but your going to need 5 more guys( that know what there doing) that have the time too, to keep the car going to the next round ,(if you win) 1,500-2,000 is if you don't break anything, there's a lot more than meets the eye, all for 5.6 to 5.9 seconds. keep your super comp car, you'll have more fun with less work.;) P/S by the way my oldest son is a fire fighter in Stamford Conn. and only having to work 8 days a month leaves you with a lot of time to spend your money, he often has more month left at the end of his money. :eek:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  11. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I know a firefighter who does home remodeling and insurance (water/fire) damage repairs on the side and does very well financially. He has a couple of crews working full time. He continues his FF job because of the retirement plan which he will be utilizing in about 8 years. He can afford to race, so he runs a top alcohol sand car.

My last full year was 2005 when Larry Miner drove for me. We ran well, didn't tear up a bunch of stuff and I still spent more than the $2,000 per run quoted here.

You may have a weekend or two where things go pretty smooth, but in the long run when you figure in travel expenses and normal parts attrition (clutch, rods, cranks, valves, springs, plugs, ignition, tires, oil, gear sets, etc.) it adds up in a big hurry.

Specialty tools can add up, too. It's best to invest in your own clutch servicing equipment so you can grind your own discs and floaters. Consistancy in this area is pretty important.

RG

12. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

2000. a run what kind of car you talking about not a alcohol funny car

13. Medicone

Medicone New Member

Why do you say 2000 like that? Are you saying its alot more too? I not saying that i want to compete every weekend im talking rereationally. As in just a couple of times a month. Would it still costs 1500-2000 per run?

14. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

can you afford it may be is it worth it probley not but i can tell you this you cant go down to the corner and buy it and you cant go to six flags and ride it something that will give you the rush that a top alcohol funny car will give but then it might scare the shit out of you if you could it probley be cheaper BEWARE IF YOU GET BIT BY THE FUNNY CAR EXPERIENCE BE PREPARED TO SPEND SOME MONEY I WOULD SPEND EVERY DOLLAR I CAN GET MY HANDS ON TO RUN AND DRIVE ON OF THESE THINGS SO THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION FOR ME EVERY NICKEL FOR THERE WAS NO GOING BACK TO THE SLOWER CAR ITS JUST NOT THE SAME SO I THANK GOD EVERY DAY WHEN I GO OUT IN THE SHOP THAT HE HAS BLESSED ME WITH ANOTHER FUNNY CAR SO I CAN LIVE OUT A YOUNG BOYS DREAM OF DRIVING A ALCOHOL FUNNY CAR AND MAYBE A FUEL CAR SOME DAY GOOD LUCK

PS IS WORTH IT HELL YES IT IS

15. Medicone

Medicone New Member

Ok so can anyone answer...about how much does it cost to build a top alcohol dragster? Not the transport unit or stuff like that just the car itself.

16. tad2155

tad2155 Member

It is a true passion & addiction, but one that i love, it's not just the car it's the people, environment and the social gathering. but you better get use to
    putting a match to $100 bills & how do measure memories and fun not with
    money:eek:

G Kelly

17. Medicone

Medicone New Member

Was that a neat way of saying 100,000 per car?

18. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

19. eli

eli Banned

Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon."

20. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Yep.

To run a competitive 5.5-5.6 car and stay on top of the parts $2,000 is light. It's not for those with a weak wallet. I can email you my 2005 tax return schedule C if you'd like to see it.

Ask Jay what he spends.

RG