What weight of oil do you run???

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Chuck Maruniak, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Chuck Maruniak

I am running an alcohol funny car engint in my top dragster and need to get an idea of what weight of oil to run. In the past I have run 50wt and had good luck, but I am hearing that I should run 70wt. Please let me know what you think. Chuck! 330-352-8908

2. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

How can you improve on that! If you chased everything that you hear, you wouldn't have time to race.

Blessings...........Ron Clevenger.

3. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

60 wt is a good oil for most conditions, hot or cold. If it is extremely hot, you could add a bit of 70, but I don't like 70 by itself, have not had great looking bearings with it. 50 will work ok for you if it is under 80 degrees outside.

4. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Oil

I always run the SAE 60 with a liter of Lucas for good measure. Bearings always look perfect.

Corey

5. BLOWN INCOME

Chuck, we run 60 in the summer months and 50 april,may, oct,nov...some of the halloween classic races i have run a 20/50...have 20 cases of 60 pennzoil @$20.00/case...most of the time when it's in the 50/60 degree range we run 50 weight and it holds 120 lbs...i have seen the 70 weight blow the filter gasket out when it was in the 40/50 degree range..

6. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

It really depends on what the engine was built for and the temperatures both at startup and during the run. That said if you have a conventional filter I would stay away from 70w if you have a screen type filter and its either really hot outside or you preheat your oil then 70w works great in a lot of applications of course if you don't know who built it etc. and if you don't preheat the oil then 60w might be a good place to start in hot weather and assuming its a screen type filter make sure the screen is correct micron size for the wieght you run.

My 2 cents take it for what its worth.

Richard Gavle

7. gt_diesel

gt_diesel New Member

I have had good luck with 50wt...... 70 is too much unless you heat it up first.

8. blown375

blown375 New Member

i HAVE BEEN RUNNING "NITRO 70 BRAD PENN" IN MY BAE ENGINE NOW FOR 2 YEARS. I HAVE HAD NO ISSUES WITH BEARINGS, PUSHRODS, LIFTERS, ROCKERS OR ADJUSTERS!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  9. T-Wrecks

T-Wrecks Member

I run Brad Penn 50W when it runs....:(

10. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

i run the brad penn 70wt and wont run any thing else in any of my blown alky motors back when kendall had the green oil i ran straight 50wt in my blown chevy believe me the green oil i think is the best that shit will stick to any thing i could tell you a couple of storys that you wouldnt are any one else would believe it will save parts in the long run

11. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

Oil

We run the Penn Nitro 70. You don't need to run it like the TAFC. a few hundreds doesnt mean anything. In T/D. I have never had a oil related parts failure running Kendal 70 + now Penn. Just make sure you have heat, and you will running t/d. Also use the Nitro screen in the system 1 filter. Itswhat we do and it seems to be OK But you are going to have to decide for your self. Good Luck, and have fun Don

12. wildman

wildman Member

I run lucas 70. I had lots of issues with bearings until I started using this. I have built the engine with extra clearance (.007 on rods .006 mains) to accomodate this though. I have run this on a motor with .003 clearance but cannot give any longevity reports as we cracked the block shortly into the build.