what valve springs

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by blownapex, Jun 10, 2007.

1. blownapex

blownapex Member

i have an early bae fuel head on kb stage 10
    block kb blue stands stage 5 intake rockers and
    precision exhaust(soon stage 5ex)
    using erson #----049 springs set at 2.050 475 psi
    2 in springs bad 180-200psi
    only 6 runs on these springs
    keep breaking rocker adjuster ball ends off and chucking
    several pushrods in burn out
    i can get 2.100 on intake and 2.080 on exhaust
    what springs should i be using and how many runs
    should i get from them
    thanks for any help
    duane
    618-781-4703

2. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

on a roots?? if so 475# is a big number....what rpm?....lash set @?...
    Just to let you know I ran some springs that a cam company sent me and we put them on and it broke a tip off the valve and let the valve drop..to find out it was some springs for a psi instead of a roots..i have been running spring with around 350# and never any problems...at 475# closed ,it is a lot of pressure when opened, and that is a lot of wear on valve train parts..dave lowe

3. Darvin Martinets

So what kind of seat pressure is everybody running on a BAD with a PSI? Seems to me that you cant get by with less than 450+ with all this blower boost. 10,000 rpm and alot of boost takes alot of spring pressure.

4. clarky

clarky New Member

Could this possibly be a lubrication issue. Not enough oil to cool the springs, so they are over heating and also could be the reason why push rods and rocker balls are failing, we drop aound 125psi of our similar set up in six run, and rotate the springs( intake to exhaust and exhast to the trash can). We did 40+ laps last year and only hurt one push rod and that was totally my fault :rolleyes: not enough lube. We use Lucas oil stabiliser on the valve tain and over the springs every pass and the motor lives.

5. Crew

Crew Volunteer

on a PSI FC deal, we run steel springs until they get down to 380 lbs. They start around 500 lbs.

6. bobbyblue359

bobbyblue359 New Member

Breaking stuff is no fun. Make sure you have good rocker balls and that GEOMETRY is right. This and lack of lube is usually the cause. We fill the rocker tubes from a garden sprayer after initial valve set. Spray all the springs with Torco red assembly spray lube. Bring up oil pressure for five seconds with no plugs in. Put in warm up plugs and start/warm the engine. Do the final valve set; respray the springs with Torco and go up for first round. NEVER lost a valve adjuster or pushrod yet. 440# intakes on the seat with 049 springs. 410# exhausts on the seat with 049 Erson's. Like the springs, but they won't go 10grand plus without trashing. Never broken a spring either, but we check them every pass and every warm up. If you find a better spring, post it, cause we're always looking for a better mouse trap. Like to know what's the verdict on LSM's version of the 049?