what trans fluid

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by hotrodharlkey, Sep 15, 2011.

1. hotrodharlkey

hotrodharlkey New Member

have a fuel altered i'm building..will be installing trans tomorrow..don't want to install verter dry;;my combo;;;
    540 blown alcohol injected bbc[est 1500-1600hp]PG trans with 1;80 straight cut gears//10 disc high gear//trans brake//and all over goodies to help trans stay together[i hope]converter is a PTC 10" blower converter[spragless]
    what fluid would be best for me to use?

2. vht

vht Member

I have a dragster with a 582 bbc and a glide set up like yours only with a 8 in conv and I use Casrtol type F. I've used this for several yrs, suggested by my trans guy and I have had 0 problems. I freshen my trans every couple seasons and it looks good every time. I asked about the latest trick hi dollar fluids and he said you don't need em.

3. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

cat hydraulic fluid..dave

4. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

Dextron 3 is what we always use

5. Ron C

Ron C Jr. Dragster

Just make sure you read the spec sheets on what ever your using. Many of those hydraulic type fluids have "friction modifiers" or some call them "anti-wear" additives.

I don't know at exactly what power level that those additives will have a negative influence on clutch life (slippage), I can't use them.

I do know that the John Deere Hy-Gard has frictional modifiers.

At 2000+hp, The best trans fluid I have found is Red Line Synthetic Racing Type 'F' trans fluid.

Blessings...............Ron Clevenger
    Pacific Pro Comp
    Creekside Racing Ministry....John 14:6

6. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

O'Reilly brand John Deere.

I've been running the O'Reilly brand John Deere multi-purpose hydrolic fluid in my PG's for the last 3 years. Pulled it apart last year to freshin up..... Re-used everything in it. It looked like it had never been run. Running 7.20's in a Blowen Altered at that time. Now running 6.80's with the same fluid. $49.95 for 5 Gallons. Works for me.....

7. thjts

thjts New Member

Whatever fluid you use, keep one thing in mind; until the trans 'proves' itself, don't bother with the stupidly expensive stuff. If you have to strip it down to fix it (for whatever reason), you will have to replace all that expensive fluid. Use a good quality everyday Type F until you've done a season, check the trans over and if everything is ok, THEN consider changing to the expensive stuff. If you want to of course.

8. quick cut

quick cut Member

Fluid

Hi what to run in a Lenco drive I have fryed my box twice now intrested
    in the Lat Oil what type & weigth & part number & who too talk to more info needed.
    Thanks

9. overkill69

overkill69 Member

redline racing aft or lightweight

went fast in our glides and Bruno. Over 300 degrees with no cooler and it looks new.

10. Money Shot

Money Shot Member

E303

Yep...What he said.