what to put on new headers?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by bryanbrown, May 2, 2007.

1. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

We got new headers, and I don't want to get them coated, so what do I put on them to keep them from rusting? I was thinking rub them with some kinda penetrating oil. any suggestions. thanks

bryan

2. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

after the race before we load the dragster I spray them with wd-40 it has been working for years. If you find something else that works better let me know...thanks Dave Lowe

3. funnycarguy 230

I agree with Dave we used wd40 and a scotch brite pad now they are coated.

4. bill

bill Member

headers

has any body tried cermac coating on the inside of the header to keep them from discolering on the outside

5. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

I believe that if you coat them, it makes it hard to weld on them later if neccessary. I'll use wd40, thanks for the info

6. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

that is why we use wd-40...you can spray some carb cleaner on it and weld it if you need to.:eek:

7. Dave Koehler

Dave Koehler Member

I have coated headers these days. Before coatings I used to glass bead the zoomies and then coat them with tranny oil every lap. After a while they just stay a nice looking black and the oil coat only was applied every now and then.
    Just a thought. I have used that tool black stuff on the chassis. Wonder how that would work out with headers and heat over time?

I have added bungs and done some repairs on coated headers and experienced no issues while doing TIG. Just have to sand away the area to be repaired.

Inside coatings definitely help the life of the header. If you believe the theory then there might be some tuning help there also. Hotter air contained by the coating moves faster.

Dave Koehler

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  8. T.A.D. 776

T.A.D. 776 New Member

A big advantage to coated hedders is they do not get as hot and are in turn cooler when you get back to your pit space.
    Other reasons it is true that the exaust gas velocity is better with inside coated hedders.
    The side advantage is they always LOOK nice.