What Race Oil is really Better?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Speed City, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Speed City

Speed City Member

When it comes to $40,000 Engines why would you put cheap or under packaged Oil in it? When Crankshafts are at $3500 a hit it doesn’t make sense to try and save that $10.00 per case on the oil. We have taken steps to clear up all the “Snake Oil” rumors of who truly has the best for money product going and found the Cam 2 Blue Blood has surpassed the competitors.

We have and will continue to run the Cam 2 oil in our funny cars since we have had outstanding results for the last three seasons.

Cam 2 has had a long standing presence in NHRA Drag Racing dating back to the mid 1970’s as sponsor on Don Prudhommes Nitro funny cars.

We invite you to view the test results at:

http://www.speedcityperformance.com/cam2_racing_oil1

www.speedcityperformance.com

Call 440.975.1969

2. Dale Finch

Dale Finch Member

This looks like a free ad to me. Are you really being fair to Will?

3. Speed City

Speed City Member

Dale

I agree maybe this was a little harsh, but we have been dealing with some negative issues coming from the other suppliers. We just decided to post the facts and let the chips fall where they may!

And yes we need to take care of old Will.

John

4. Kevin Watson

Kevin Watson New Member

Not so fast

Have you done comparisons with many other brands 801/clean boost makes a hell of a product we swear bye it.

5. Speed City

Speed City Member

Unfortunately not, these tests were done back in 2010. The reason we tested the oils was to make sure it was OK before we started using it. We were using another brand and we were skeptical of trying anything else. There is no doubt there are many very good quality products out here and are more than adequate. There is no way we would suggest something that is not a quality product, we have used it for 2 years with not a single issue.

As a racer we need to look at cost vs. quality that is why we look at who invests the most in there package and what is the cost. The Cam 2 is around the $6.50 per quart average not bad when you look at the ingredients.

What has prompted this post is that we are now the distribution source for the Blue Blood Racing Oils and Cam 2 has an interest in participating in NHRA starting with the alcohol class, we have just received the documents from Charlie Neilson but there are no guarantees an agreement can be met but we are hopeful.

Cam 2 is not new to NHRA they sponsored Don Prudohhmes funny cars back in the 1970’s and the want to get back to their roots.

Kevin what is cost for the 801?

Thanks for the feedback…this is how we learn!

John

6. Kevin Watson

Kevin Watson New Member

Oil

Well I hope that distributorship works out for you. We have been running the 801/clean boost sense 2009 and have been very happy with it. And as far as price please don't quote me on this because it is not my department. But I believe it's between 90 and $100 for a five gallon bucket. Again for more accurate pricing please contact the guys at 801. I know they spare no expense on the different additives and it show every time I drop the pan to check the bearings. Hope that helps a little john

Kevin

7. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

801 Revolution 70wt.

801 oil will be available at Pomona in drums or 5 gallon buckets.

Drum lists at $1295 but is available to racers for $995 ($4.52/quart)

Buckets will be available for $100 ($5.00/quart)

I boil mine and reuse it multiple runs by just adding their Heavy Metal additive. If you run a cheaper oil I suggest at least getting the additive. If you're in the California, Oregon, or Utah area, oil should be available without shipping to NHRA or heritage series races.

Flash

8. Speed City

Speed City Member

How much additive do you need per gallon of oil?

Cody,

How much additive is needed to bring oil back to spec? I see it is $29.00 per qt.

I also hear that Lucas needs to have additive added as well.

We are looking at the contingency program with NHRA and it won’t be possible when trying to compete with pricing in the $4 to $7 per qt range. We are looking at where Red Line,Klotz,Royal purple etc..($10 to $15 per qt) are at since the Cam 2 brand is very similar to theirs. Also we are seeing the more expensive brands are more supportive of the sport, providing funding to sanctioning bodies rather than free oil give a ways to teams. I also see the Peak brand is becoming more involved with NHRA and teams.

I know you are representing the 801 products and that’s a good thing, but bringing more players to the table creates competitiveness among the companies who hopefully step there games up and spend. But we know they won’t without profits,so it’s up to the racers to support them.

Not sure where this is going, but is creating some good conversation!
    John

9. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

Contingency

801 does a contingency that isn't run through NHRA. NHRAs program is very expensive to the companies involved, and the racers get screwed by Cheap Charlie whenever possible because if the money promised doesn't get paid out to the racers NHRA keeps it. 801 pays heritage series winners too so that's an additional bonus.

I only use half a quart per 5 gallons. So $15/pass. I don't even go through a drum of oil a season.

Flash

10. Kevin Watson

Kevin Watson New Member

Thanks Cody that is very helpful like I said its not my department I'm just an engine builder. But nice to know that their products are on par with most every thing out there and they really do work with the racers!!!

Thanks again buddy see you out there,

11. eli

eli Banned

When we were running the Italian Way BB/A we used Wolfshead 50 wg. that motor had the same bearings in it from the day i put it together until Anthony sold the car, 3 years later. sad thing is they dont make racing oil anymore, at least i cant find any.:(

12. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Eli
    I also was a huge fan of Wolfs head oil in the late 70's early 80's
    I used to swear by that stuff. Now it’s Brad Penn as it s economical compared to synthetics and just plain works good.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  13. fed-west

fed-west Member

wolfs head trademark is currently registered to Amalie Oil Company.

Tom